Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit

Published August 12th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

plastic-jesus2.jpg

Some of us what happened last Christmas when Green Bay city officials installed a Christian nativity scene atop a public building. Drama ensued when the city would not allow displays representing other religions – including the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They mayor referred to a proposed Pastafarian display as “silly”. (Clearly he hadn’t seen my schematic (below)).

Now the city of Green Bay is being sued. Not by us – by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The Madison-based foundation and 14 local residents are suing the city of Green Bay, Mayor Jim Schmitt and former City Council President Chad Fradette over the display. The lawsuit claims the display depicting the birth of Jesus violates the Constitution as a governmental endorsement of religion.

I can’t get too worked up about any of this. I’m sure most of us Pastafarians are not offended by Jesus displays. I assume that most Christians would enjoy a festive Pastafarian display. If we’re going to allow one religious display, why not allow them all? What’s the problem? Who doesn’t like pirates and strippers?

fsm-nativity2.jpg

Maybe Green Bay mayor Jim Schmitt just doesn’t understand what a wonderful belief system we have. I can’t help but wonder if this all could have been avoided if we had done more evangelizing.

I suppose the Mayor will be busy for a while battling for his right to endorse Jesus with government resources, but after this lawsuit dies down maybe we can convert him to the one True religion.

You can read more about the lawsuit at the Chicago Tribune here.

41 Responses to “Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit”

1 2 3 5
  1. Red Dutchpasta Wench says:

I’d want a male stripper there as well. They are more to my taste.. And I’m sure to the taste of some pirates as well.

2. Fiona says:

OMFSM, I love pirates. AND strippers. Pirates and strippers together? *faints*

3. Mensch42 says:

There are larger issues here. The child in the nativity scene has clearly not been properly retrained in its seat. A bungee chord around or near the neck certainly does not comply with National Transportation Safety Board regulations. The mayor is setting a bad example by allowing this to be displayed in a public place. It is nice to see, however, that the parents or caregivers have applied adequate sunscreen to the child’s delicate, exposed skin…or so it appears based upon its very pale, white pallor.

4. Amelia says:

I wonder what the precedent is for class-action religious discriminiation lawsuits in Green Bay is.

5. Stephanie says:

I don’t mind Christmas. It’s the Christians that it attracts that bother me…

6. Walsh says:

They’re just afraid that their immaculate baby will be obscured by the shining light of His Noodly Appendage. And the strippers.

7. Boarg says:

Pirates, strippers and complimenatary beer by a warm fire substituting for the divine volcanoes. No prize for guessing which religion would be likely to get more festive converts. Perhaps such a fear is the real reason behind the refusal for the FSM display.

8. Sean Boyd says:

Perhaps there’s a better way to get Mayor Schmitt to agree to our display. Tell him the pirate looks exactly like Brett Favre. Since the people of Green Bay are already used to worshipping #4, it would make for a very natural transition to paying homage to our Pastafarian display (can we call it a Nautility scene?)

1 2 3 5