FSM @ Fremont Summer Solstice Parade

Published June 23rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

The FSM, Himself, and an intrepid crew of pirates were spotted at this year’s Fremont Summer Solstice Parade in Seattle, Washington:

free11.jpg

free21.jpg

This amazing display was the work of the Seattle Atheists and Agnostics.

I am the gentlemen in the top photo in the red flannel shirt and crossbones bandanna. The Summer Solstice Parade is organized by Fremont Art Society. The object of the parade is to get art into the community. People all over Seattle converge on this parade and create floats, costumes, and works of art. Seattle Atheists is a non-profit organization which my wife and me are members of (www.seattleatheists.org) the organization wanted to be a part of this parade. We were going to do a theme on evolution, like the march of man. However it was decided that the Flying Spaghetti Monster would get a far better reaction. I can tell you the response was overwhelming. People literally ran out into the streets to pay homage to his Noodleyness and to get blessed by his noodley appendages. There were not any scoffers, just two people holding up signs telling the naked people in the parade to repent and turn to god. His Noodleyness had a few photos taken with naked women painted in chocolate syrup. I certainly wished at that moment that I was a flying spaghetti monster as well.

The people that got it really wanted to be a part of it and were yelling at the top of their lungs “WOOHOO! BLESS ME FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER! BLESS ME WITH YOUR NOODLEY APPENDAGES!” His Noodleyness complied with their wishes and as they bowed before the omnipotent meatball, he compassionately reached out one of his magnificent noodley appendages and bestowed a blessing upon their head. After the blessing was conducted I sprinkled dried noodles over upon their heads.
-Shane

I wish I had been there to see it.

Here are a bunch of pictures on flickr:

Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade Pirates and the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade fremont solstice parade flying spaghetti monster Fremont Solstice Parade Fremont Solstice Parade

Flying Spaghetti Monster Pirates at the Fremont Solstice Parade parade: flying spaghetti monster Clearly, It's Only Appropriate That Pirates Proselytize For the Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster

Fremont Solstice Parade Flying Spaghetti Monster 2 Fremont Solstice Parade 2008: Flying Spaghetti Monster Fremont Solstice Parade 2008: Flying Spaghetti Monster Fremont Flying Spaghetti Monster

touched by his noodly goodness Solstice Parade 2008 Flying Spaghetti Monster - Solstice Parade in Seattle Pirates and the flying spaghetti monster worshippers of the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade

IMG_0210 Solstice Parade-35 Pastafarians! Flying Spaghetti Monster! IMGP0694

Solstice Parade-36 flying spaghetti monster IMGP0693 pirates FSM flying-spaghetti-monster

flying spaghetti monster! Flying Spaghetti Monster. Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster, I couldn't see your eyes!

Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster flying spaghetti monster + pirates (close) flying spaghetti monster + pirates

Flying Spaghetti Monster! FSM! DSC_0096 IMG 9936 Flying Spaghetti Monster FremontParade2008-75

36 Responses to “FSM @ Fremont Summer Solstice Parade”

1. Pockafwye says:

If you search on flickr for “fremont solstice spaghetti” you get a lot of photos of these folks and their righteous entourage

2. jeremykeys says:

Looks amazing. I don’t know if this kind of thing ever happens here in Toronto but I’d like to know beforehand so I could be there.

3. Plague Chicken says:

Truly one with His Noodly Peoples! It warms a body’s heart it does. Buddha was one for hanging out under the lotus tree, but he was too quiet. Shiva always wanted to destroy stuff. Jehovah is like a peeping tom, hiding in the bushes spying on you – hoping to catch you doing something wrong. But, the Noodly Master knows how to to get down with the crowds. If you want to feed 100′s of people – keep your bread and fishes (although I am rather fond of sushi), give me pasta any day of the week!

If laughter is indeed the best medicine, this site and its ‘inhabitants’ will let me live forever! So far, so good.

cheers

PC

4. Chris says:

I was touched by His noodly appendage! Here’s a picture.

5. bl@ster says:

I was there, as I go every year. The Spaghetti Monster float was awesome.

The best part was this. The Seattle Fremont Solstice Parade is known for being highly political (aka anti-Bush and even a little smutty). A few dozen naked (well, body painted) bicylists crash the parade every year and people cheer loudly for them. It’s a bit of a Seattle tradition. Also, every year 3 or 4 religious zealots come and hold very large printed signs that state things like “God is watching you! Repent! *pair of wide eyes staring at you pictured* and it names a bible verse. The flip side will say something like “God has given you over to your obsession with perversity.” Well, this year as the Flying Spaghetti Monster went by, the people holding his tentacles repeatedly poked at the large signs. It was quite hilarious.

Hope He makes an appeareance again next year!

bl@ster
    Seattle, WA

6. Noodles in soy sauce says:

yeahh, the gospel of the FSM is spreading out like fire, I think we can start talking seriously of a summit with all the important leaders of the movement to make pastafarianism the official religion of the Roman Empire………….just kidding

7. arr! says:

There were a couple of Christians there holding generic signs protesting immorality. The pirates gently touched the signs with his noodley appendages – it was beautiful.

8. Iron Mike says: