FSM @ Fremont Summer Solstice Parade

Published June 23rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

The FSM, Himself, and an intrepid crew of pirates were spotted at this year’s Fremont Summer Solstice Parade in Seattle, Washington:

free11.jpg

free21.jpg

This amazing display was the work of the Seattle Atheists and Agnostics.

I am the gentlemen in the top photo in the red flannel shirt and crossbones bandanna. The Summer Solstice Parade is organized by Fremont Art Society. The object of the parade is to get art into the community. People all over Seattle converge on this parade and create floats, costumes, and works of art. Seattle Atheists is a non-profit organization which my wife and me are members of (www.seattleatheists.org) the organization wanted to be a part of this parade. We were going to do a theme on evolution, like the march of man. However it was decided that the Flying Spaghetti Monster would get a far better reaction. I can tell you the response was overwhelming. People literally ran out into the streets to pay homage to his Noodleyness and to get blessed by his noodley appendages. There were not any scoffers, just two people holding up signs telling the naked people in the parade to repent and turn to god. His Noodleyness had a few photos taken with naked women painted in chocolate syrup. I certainly wished at that moment that I was a flying spaghetti monster as well.

The people that got it really wanted to be a part of it and were yelling at the top of their lungs “WOOHOO! BLESS ME FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER! BLESS ME WITH YOUR NOODLEY APPENDAGES!” His Noodleyness complied with their wishes and as they bowed before the omnipotent meatball, he compassionately reached out one of his magnificent noodley appendages and bestowed a blessing upon their head. After the blessing was conducted I sprinkled dried noodles over upon their heads.
-Shane

I wish I had been there to see it.

Here are a bunch of pictures on flickr:

Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade Pirates and the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade fremont solstice parade flying spaghetti monster Fremont Solstice Parade Fremont Solstice Parade

Flying Spaghetti Monster Pirates at the Fremont Solstice Parade parade: flying spaghetti monster Clearly, It's Only Appropriate That Pirates Proselytize For the Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster

Fremont Solstice Parade Flying Spaghetti Monster 2 Fremont Solstice Parade 2008: Flying Spaghetti Monster Fremont Solstice Parade 2008: Flying Spaghetti Monster Fremont Flying Spaghetti Monster

touched by his noodly goodness Solstice Parade 2008 Flying Spaghetti Monster - Solstice Parade in Seattle Pirates and the flying spaghetti monster worshippers of the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at the Fremont Solstice Parade

IMG_0210 Solstice Parade-35 Pastafarians! Flying Spaghetti Monster! IMGP0694

Solstice Parade-36 flying spaghetti monster IMGP0693 pirates FSM flying-spaghetti-monster

flying spaghetti monster! Flying Spaghetti Monster. Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster, I couldn't see your eyes!

Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster Flying Spaghetti Monster flying spaghetti monster + pirates (close) flying spaghetti monster + pirates

Flying Spaghetti Monster! FSM! DSC_0096 IMG 9936 Flying Spaghetti Monster FremontParade2008-75

37 Responses to “FSM @ Fremont Summer Solstice Parade”

1. Liss says:

Here you are!

2. Laura says:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster chose to show Himself at the Fremont Solstice Parade. He was attended to by the pirates of SeattleAtheists.org. Many were touched by His noodly appendage that glorious day!
    See more photo evidence below!

Mhnaty. :)

3. Kyle Hepworth says:

I had planned to contact you a bit later, but it looks like word travels fast on the internets. This was the Fremont Solstice Parade entry for Seattle Atheists (seattleatheists.org).

While we were struggling for an icon to represent our group in the “no words allowed” fair, it just came to us, as though his noodly appendages reached into our heads. At first I was skeptical, being an atheist and all, but after I saw him, all my doubts were erased. I made a full conversion. I am a born-again Pastafarian.

We had no trouble finding participants. Seattle has a very high Pastafarian concentration.

His Noodliness made His way through the crowd, touching people, and blessing them throughout the whole parade route. Many people ran into the street to bow in front of Him and have pasta sprinkled on their heads. I was somewhat surprised by how many people recognized Him. There were points in which large sections of the crowd were chanting “Flying Spaghetti Monster” well before we got there. Like I said, Seattle’s cool.

At one point, He touched two onlookers who were holding giant “Repent” signs. Nothing really happened physically, but you could tell they began to question their particular religious faith. Very powerful stuff.

Oh, we also made some FSM FAQ sheets and a lot of little fluffy FSM plushies to give away. They were adorable. Keep spreading the word!

Check out some more pictures from the fair: Facebook group Seattle Atheists.

4. DaveJ says:

And I have a couple more pictures, but can’t figure out how to post them.

DaveJ

5. Ally says:

I am a new convert. Looking for some blessings from The Great FSM. Great site!

6. Benny The Ball says:

Who made that?! Fantastic. Wish I could have been there. I felt his noodly touch upon me throughout though.

7. Cappy says:

You Atheists are the worst kind of filth, and you should be ashamed of yourselves for parading your meatballs and spaghetti at a family-oriented event like this fine Fremont celebration. I have not been to Fremont, but I’m certain it is filled with God-loving and God-fearing people like me, not the Godless commies and hippies in San Trans-cisco. Now that we have Ben Stein and his hard-hitting documentary on our side, it won’t be long before the Supreme Court allows God back into our schools. I’m praying for you all. Praying that you die slow, painful deaths and spend eternity doing unsolvable Sudoku puzzles with a pen!
    -Angry Christian (the best kind there is!)

8. First Mate Orzo says:

He might spit alfredo sauce at you, but never will he throw earthquakes. ;)