While I can understand this movement’s motives

Published May 18th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

While I can understand this movement’s motives, it is still offensive to a great many people (myself included). Mocking another group’s beliefs is kind of a sick way to get your beliefs recognized.
-skeptic

175 Responses to “While I can understand this movement’s motives”

1. Talleyrand says:

I would like to congratulate skeptic for posting an opposition to FSM-ism without resorting to profanity or absurd mis-spellings. But skeptic misses the point – I don’t think we are mocking anyone’s beliefs (I know I am not).

If you want to believe in the Christian God or the Jewish God or the Muslim God or the Hindu Gods or the Greek Gods or any of the above, bully for you – as Thomas Jefferson wrote, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg (damn that guy had a way with words).

But if you want to impose your beliefs on ME – say for example by trying to pass them off as science and get them taught in public school science classes – then you have invited my mockery. And ye shall be mocked.

Ramen brothers and sisters

2. BILBO THE WISER THAN THOU says:

Ok dude guess what. Maybe other religions are offensive to us and we’re not mocking any other beliefs. We are simply saying that they aren’t right. You can go ahead and believe whatever you want, but please; we dont mock people, it’s not His Noodly way, we just say you’re wrong.

3. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Yes, I know that after listening to the haranguing of zealots, my simple profession of non-belief shocks them into silence and horror. They seem to get a lot of pleasure out of their pontificating. Must be nice to be the conduit for the commands of THE suprement being, after all. Can there be a bigger ego trip?

Meanwhile, I don’t get anywhere near that much pleasure if denying god to them. It’s like telling little kids that there ain’t no Santy Claus.

4. Alexander Elijah says:

Whoever said we were mocking anybody? I understand your argument, but it is still offensive to a great many pastafarians (myself included.) Sending hate mail accusing us of mocking religion is kind of rude if you ask me.

5. Hain says:

Everything that I wanted to say, Talleyrand has said it best.

6. AnkhAnanku says:

Kudos to the skeptic. Such clarity in knowing both sides of the coin is a quality far more valuable to the whole of humanity than the somewhat overplayed tongue-in-cheek argument/parody that is the Church of FSM. However, as the FSM beliefs are all in good fun, I don’t believe there should be any REAL conflict between those truely follow GOD or those faithful to PASTA…
    I don’t think this is hate mail, but please think of it considerably, pastafarians. May the full blessings of parmisan fall upon you. “ramen”

7. Tricia C. says:

Well, its true like all religon’s, some people take it to far, but still “Pastafarianism is the most peaceful religion in the world, causing 0 deaths (to my knowledge)” – Bobby Henderson

Forever thankful for being touched by his noodly apendage! :D
    ♥Tricia C.

8. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Perhaps I should apologize for my non-belief. Then again, I never got apologies for being mocked for NOT being a christian. How could I NOT believe in god in the face of ALL that evidence of his existence, like….like.. Anyways, most of my friends are Christians, Jews, Muslims or Hindus, and if that gives them peace in their lives, have at it. I don’t go door-to-door talking people out of their faith.

The purpose of this website is to mock not religion per se, but (un)Intelligent Design. Because it’s harmful. Because it’s the first step to the second Dark Ages. Because it’s a misappropriation of public money to push a minority’s (10%) totally unfounded religious view as being as valid as FACT in a science class.