19108 Views

The Priest, the Pasta, and ID

Published April 3rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

Received this last night…

I was only aware of the FSM today while in my Biology and society class for 1st year medical science at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia. Up untill today did i not relise that Americans where still believing in the ‘eye evidence’ for ID, it has been long proven that the eye was indeed evolved in parts which can be seen gastropods (may not be actual spelling).

As i was surfing your site the hate mail section caught my eye, the lecturer, who, by the way is a priest, was talking about how most of the people who wrote hate mail to you are illiterate, angry and quite often murderous. Well naturally i had to take a look! One such writter caught my eye, not only did they refer to the ‘eye evidence’ but also to a soup can analogy. I myself am a roman catholic but even I at an early age realised flaws in the bible, indeed i am a very strong supporter of evolution and all things scientiffic (testable and tentative) and have dabbled into the world of string theory, (although not enough to comment on the topic).

It is alarming that the richest and most technological country (the U.S.A) has i significant proportion (25%) of the population that refuses to believe in evolution and even 12% that dont believe the world is round! Your struggle to bring sense to the world is not unheard and the way in which you are doing it is briliant to say the least. It begs the question of whether a standard definition of science is needed, one that not only the scientific community can use but the general community (like the people who do not know the difference between theory in every day speech and theory in science). so if a catholic and a baptist priest can see the difference whats wrong with the great country of America?

P.S your hard lined baptists are crazy nutters ie that family who protests at troops funerals

your biggest catolic fan, Big Kev

42 Responses to “The Priest, the Pasta, and ID”

1. The Josh says:

Hey man, thanks. But for future reference, you misused “beg the question”. I think you meant, “raise the question”. Very different.

2. Halfdan Reschat says:

I’m not going to comment of the whole of the mail – but one line stood out:

“It is alarming that the richest and most technological country (the U.S.A)…”

“Riches” only in the sense of “the one of the biggest with the most money” – that’s okay. But “most technological” – in what way? The country with most electric equipment (because of it’s size)?
    If you ask around the world what country people considers to be the most “technological” country – many would answer Japan or maybe even Switzerland. Some would answer Sweden. But I doubt that many outside of the US in any way can see USA as a technological country.
    That so many people in USA thinks of USA as the “greatest”, “the most free”, “the most technological”, “the richest” + more, country in the world (while this not being the case for most other countries) can be explained by looking at the extreme nationalism (patriotism) in USA. This I then link to the extreme number of religious people, people who don’t people in evolution and people being narrow minded.

Don’t get me wrong. Many Americans are good people (whatever that does mean) and many are also technological, intelligent and have great world views. But even more don’t fit this – and see “God” and “USA” as being superior this anything and anyone else. This is a problem – maybe even bigger then the many fundamentalistic religious people in the world.

“Nationalism and religion – the two biggest evils of our world today, as well as any day”

– Halfdan Reschat

3. Big Kev says:

Damn now i can see all my spelling mistakes haha

4. Devout Heathen says:

You know, we do occasionally need reminding that not all Christians are rabid, illiterate, bible thumping eejits. It’s just that these tend to make the most noise. We do need reminding that looking at things through the Internet is like pointing a magnifying glass at the various strange components of human nature and enlarging them to a far greater extent than their accomplishments warrant.

As illustrated by Kev, most Christians do know the difference between a book inspired by God and a book dictated word for word by God, with appropriate corrections applied if the silly human makes mistakes. As they know the difference between “knowing” and “believing”.

Just as Christians need to know that we Atheists do realise that many of the concepts in the Bible make perfect sense in context, illustrating brilliantly the way that human minds work, where they can go wrong and how to guard oneself against that happening.

Just ignore the bits about the dead-then-alive-again, and bearded-man-on-a-cloud-pointing-and-there-we-are.

5. Ed says:

Twelve percent that don’t believe the world is round? WTF?

I have never wanted to be Canadian more desperately than I do now…

6. James D King of Pirates says:

You know henderbob, we should have a section for respect mail as well as hate mail, this is in no way hate mail, Kev here agrees with us, so why don’t you create a section to put the mail that does not qualify as “hate” if you were to do this it would make more sense and all would be slightly better, please consider it.
    RAmen to all

7. Rev. Connor says:

Thank you, that is so refreshing. We always truly appreciate thanks from anyone, especially when we can help bring people together, thank you.

8. Nicholas Novitski says:

The most recent millenarian tradition (Left Behind et al) was invented in America less than a hundred years ago. It’s reasonable that it would be more pronounced there.

Do we know enough about the demographics of Pastafarians to say where most of them are from?

PS: I used to mis-use the phrase “begs the question” all the time. I have since learned that a statement begs a question when it ignores that question entirely, or assumes one answer or another to it. If I say “Where are we going out to eat?” then I am begging the question “Would we like to go out to eat?” and “Are we hungry?”

But anyway, kev’s “standard definition of science” sounds a lot like more comprehensive and universal science education. Including, of course, alternative but equivalent hypotheses as they arise, like Pastafarianism to Natural Selection. In which case, I agree!