20431 Views

The Priest, the Pasta, and ID

Published April 3rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

Received this last night…

I was only aware of the FSM today while in my Biology and society class for 1st year medical science at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia. Up untill today did i not relise that Americans where still believing in the ‘eye evidence’ for ID, it has been long proven that the eye was indeed evolved in parts which can be seen gastropods (may not be actual spelling).

As i was surfing your site the hate mail section caught my eye, the lecturer, who, by the way is a priest, was talking about how most of the people who wrote hate mail to you are illiterate, angry and quite often murderous. Well naturally i had to take a look! One such writter caught my eye, not only did they refer to the ‘eye evidence’ but also to a soup can analogy. I myself am a roman catholic but even I at an early age realised flaws in the bible, indeed i am a very strong supporter of evolution and all things scientiffic (testable and tentative) and have dabbled into the world of string theory, (although not enough to comment on the topic).

It is alarming that the richest and most technological country (the U.S.A) has i significant proportion (25%) of the population that refuses to believe in evolution and even 12% that dont believe the world is round! Your struggle to bring sense to the world is not unheard and the way in which you are doing it is briliant to say the least. It begs the question of whether a standard definition of science is needed, one that not only the scientific community can use but the general community (like the people who do not know the difference between theory in every day speech and theory in science). so if a catholic and a baptist priest can see the difference whats wrong with the great country of America?

P.S your hard lined baptists are crazy nutters ie that family who protests at troops funerals

your biggest catolic fan, Big Kev

42 Responses to “The Priest, the Pasta, and ID”

1 2 3 6
  1. Pope Pixel I says:

Good message, but there’s a point where I draw the line:
    “and even 12% that dont believe the world is round!”
    We’re stupid, but we aren’t THAT stupid.
    RAmen

2. scurvy jen says:

right on Kev!

3. MBproSauce says:

first off, I’m pretty sure less than 1% of people dont believe the earth is round, so I dont know where you got that information. Also, that baptist church your thinking about is the Westboro Baptist church. ya, they are crazy, but they do it for attention. and most of the people in it are of the founders family anyway, so its not like theres a lot of those retards.

4. Archaeolowench says:

Hey Kev,

Though I am a raging atheist (of the Judo-Christian god), an apathetic agnostic (don’t know, don’t care) concerning the existence of some other nebulous kind of god, and a deeply religious Pastafarian, I have to admit that most Baptists are perfectly nice people, who despise the so-called Baptist “Westboro Baptist Church” just as much as any other even slightly sane person does. Most baptists can be kind of hardline in their beliefs, but they would never act like that. I know it is an embarrassment to them that those sick people call themselves Baptists.

And you, as a Catholic should know that you can be a Pastafarian too. The Noodly One does not require that you believe in him. Look up the 8 I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts on Wikipedia

5. lilwench says:

This country was settled by fundies called puritans, who unfortunately bred, so today we have all these religious nutters. They are very efficient at indoctrinating their spawn, and rarely can education, logic, reason, or evidence overcome this indoctrination. In moments of clarity, some have felt His Noodly Appendages, but most of the nutters are content to remain semi-literate, clueless whack jobs. Unfortunately one of these got elected president.

Welcome to America.

6. Cap'n Poofybeard says:

Haha… Last time I envisioned the stripper volcano, string theory involved a game of cat-and-mouse with a lady.

7. BlackBard says:

Kev,
    Thanks for the encouragement. It is truly sad to live in an America that is so backward, not only in science but in so many other ways, as well.

8. CindyB says:

You are fortunate to live in Australia, where apparently even religious followers believe in science. It’s a whole different story in the USA, which used to be progressive, but now I fear is sinking into ignorance and religious dogma. Thanks for supporting the Pastafarians!

1 2 3 6