religious license plates in Florida

Published April 28th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson
floridaplate.jpg

The picture above is a specialty plate being considered in Florida. It would be the first specialty plate in the US to promote a specific religion.

I think it’s fine, so long as other religions are allowed specialty plates, too. I can’t imagine their argument against allowing that, but you know they’ve got one already. Something like “Christian plates are OK because Christianity is the correct religion.”

No surprise, the ACLU’s on top of it:

The problem with the state manufacturing the plate is that it “sends a message that Florida is essentially a Christian state” and, second, gives the “appearance that the state is endorsing a particular religious preference,” said Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida.

Florida Rep. Kelly Skidmore has some common sense:

“It’s not a road I want to go down. I don’t want to see the Star of David next. I don’t want to see a Torah next. None of [those other religions that I am not a part of] are appropriate to me,” said Skidmore, a Democrat who voted against the plate in committee. “I just believe that.”

Fair warning, Florida: If your Christian plate is approved, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster WILL seek our own plate promoting Pastafarianism.

Pastafarians, let’s start designing the plate now. Please send me your submissions!

Pastafarian Mike’s design:
fsm_florida_plate1.jpg

Pastafarian DeeLawn’s design:
flordiaplate.jpg

Pastafarian Kevin’s designs:
plate3.jpg

kevin2.jpg

kevin3.jpg

63 Responses to “religious license plates in Florida”

1. Ben Manson says:

dudes, i came across this site when the ex-guitarist of my band told me he had converted to pastafarianism.
    at the time it sounded rather stupid, i must admit, but upon reading the articles on this site, i must say, although i’m not sure i “believe” myself, i truly do support what you guys are doing here, and if you need support in the whole license plate thing, i will truly help you out in any way that i can.
    RAMEN!

2. Franko says:

I’ll contribute to apply for an FSM plate in FL, and I don’t even live there anymore. Must get my siblings to send me the Letters-to-the-Editor from down there, they’ve got to be hilarious. An FSM plate was the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. It’s also way past time I joined and supported the ACLU. Even when they defend people I don’t like, they’re a useful institution.

3. john murie says:

how funny lol

4. Mike1071 says:

It’s Florida, for His Noodly Goodness’ sake! It MUST be a pirate fish! :D

5. Mike1071 says:

Pirate fish!

6. Peni the Great Shead says:

As a Florida resident, I would be appalled to see religous license plates. Unless, of course, that religion is Pastafarianism. Who needs those other religions, huh? Kelly Skidmore is such a genius.
    Let’s hate Jews, everyone! They’re different!
    Honestly, I just can’t bear seeing religion being publicized for everyone to see. When people talk about religion or politics, they only want to start arguments.

7. Sam says:

The same situation has arisen here in South Carolina.

It will take 400 people subscribing to get force the state to adopt an FSM license plate.

The proposed plates are great! Pastafarians across South Carolina, lets get united and proclaim the
    power of His Noodly Appendage.

Talk it up, write it up in letters to the editor, and proclaim the Truth of FSM!

We Will Have Our Plate!

Sam

8. charlise mathew says:

America is a CHRISTIAN country. Our grant grant parents are CHRISTIAN.
    Follow our parents. What is wrong with that plate.