I can’t understand

Published April 4th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

This is not hatemail, and it’s not exactly concerned-criticism .. but can anyone help him out?

I can’t understand what it is that you are basing your beliefs on. I especially can’t understand how you actually worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please help me understand as I am interested in the religion, I just can’t fully understand it.
–chip

63 Responses to “I can’t understand”

1. Parmesanic says:

Chip, His Noodliness doesnt want to be worshiped. In fact, you may even choose NOT to believe in him (although some really do). Do you have what it takes to become a Pastafarian? Are you willing to doubt? Are you interested in a life filled with ever changing knowledge? Or are you a couch potatoe who enjoys reading the same old fairy tale? By the way, in order to complete your application please answer the following:
    Are you superstitious?
    Do you need to be told what to do?
    Do you think some supernatural being has a special destiny for you?
    Have you experienced a miracle?
    Are you thrilled by mysteries?
    Are you afraid of being responsible for your acts and its consequences?
    Do you consider that sheepherding is a philosophical school of thought?

Affirmative answers to any of the above mentioned questions does not automatically result in a rejection of your application… you just need to think harder!

2. capt. kidd says:

if you actuly look up the history behind the church of FSM, then you shall see that it is the idea, not the worship of FSM, but just the idea of putting creation-ism back in schools. to have something other than dawin’s crak-pot theory.

3. ET, the Extra Terrestrial says:

@Vermicelli
    Friday nights at my house. That way the wine has a chance to wear off before I go back to work on Monday.

4. Chaos says:

You need to think harder if you’re thrilled by mysteries? The others kinda make sense but you lost me on that one.

5. Harry says:

This religion is purely satirical. It is designed to promote free thought and to discourage Intelligent Design.

6. ME DUH says:

I was deeply comforted to read your response. It assured me that there are still open-minded, tolerant individuals in the world that would like to learn about the beliefs of others.
    It will be helpful to you if you watch the informative video thing that I believe is under the “Worship” tab. There is also information about Pastafarianism in Wikipedia.
    If you are curious as to why we chose to believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster, you might also ask yourself why Buddhists believe what they do, why Hindus believe in their numerous gods, etc. etc. It just came to Bobby, if you are curious you might ask him to answer.

7. BlackBard says:

Well said, Scooter. That really is the essence of what FSMism is about.
    RAmen

8. RK says:

More or less, Pastafarianism is the rejection of dogma and the acceptance of open, free thought. It was developed to prove a point, that any “scientific theory” based on faith is just as legitimate as anything else based on faith, including the proposal that a giant being made of spaghetti created all that we know. However, it has evolved to be a symbol of anti-religion in a sense. We feel that people should question everything and figure out for themselves what the should do and believe. Although organized religion may work as a guideline, you’ve fallen into their trap if you believe and do every word they say without question. We’re simply here to promote free thought and to say that no one has all the answers, not even us, with satire.

Oh, and an interesting exercise is to ask yourself whether you believe in god(s), and look at all of your beliefs, and ask yourself why you think that way. This is very fun to do with a group of friends, especially if they have diverse belief systems. You don’t necessarily have to reject all your beliefs, just think about why you have them. It really opens your eyes.

May his noodly appendage touch you, chip.

peace