I can’t understand

Published April 4th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

This is not hatemail, and it’s not exactly concerned-criticism .. but can anyone help him out?

I can’t understand what it is that you are basing your beliefs on. I especially can’t understand how you actually worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please help me understand as I am interested in the religion, I just can’t fully understand it.
–chip

63 Responses to “I can’t understand”

1. Scooter says:

The reason I came to the Church of the FSM was that I believe if you bring most of the world’s religions down to their essential points you come away with two things:

1 – Live a good life.
    2 – Be nice to each other.

Each religion chooses to implement those ideas in their own way. Some are more restrictive than others, and each has their own set of rules. What it all boils down to is control.

The Church of the FSM allows reasonably intelligent people to make up their own mind about things. When allowed to do this, we have generally come to the same conclusion: None of the major religions have gotten it quite right.

There is too much emphasis on the control aspect, and less on living a good life and being nice to each other.

While Bobby may have started all of this as a protest to ID, and to poke the religious establishment in the eye, there is more to the Church of the FSM than that. The Eight “I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts” really do summarize what we should all be doing as we relate ourselves to each other.

2. Paul The Burptist says:

@lordpunkmonk Apr 5th, 2008 at 10:47 am

Speak for yourself! Faith in His Noodly Greatness leads to strippers and beer volcanoes – how could you not believe?

May you be blessed by the touch of His Noodly appendage

3. James D King of Pirates says:

It is based on the fact that pirates prevent global warming (see home page for new evidence) and that Intelligent Design should not be taught in schools, and that pasta is delicious.
    May you see the noodly appendage Chip
    RAmen

4. Vermicelli says:

Some of us dont worship him as much as serve him every tuesday night.

5. Boarg says:

Pastafarianism gets you drunk and laid. Other religions tend to see this as bad. Switch now and worship will never be dull again.

6. Karl Rosenqvist says:

I base my faith on the idea that I need to belive in stuff. The Flying spaghetti Monster is just that harmless faith I need.

7. bombadil says:

we believ thr FSM created the universe 5,000 years ago. we have evidence of this dating back millions of years.

8. BlackBard says:

Ubi Dubium – Right on! I especially liked your thought: “Plus this is just a heck of a lot of fun. Talk and dress like a pirate, eat noodles, drink as much as you want, see divine manifestations anywhere you feel like, take Fridays off!!! And then you can irritate the Fundamentalists by saying that this is how God wants you to live, and maybe it would be great if they were touched by His Noodly Appendage too, because heaven has a beer volcano!!”
    Balthazar – Excellent points when you said: “Start with the book “Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster”. In my opinion, it is not so much a religion or a format for worship, but a code of ethics and a way to open your mind to different ideas. It is not the answer to any great question or the source of your salvation, but a way to get back to the important part of living in a world with other people in it. Basically, the FSM is a humorous vehicle for some pretty important social change in the areas of freedom, respect and tolerance.”
    I want to express my appreciation for the many other contributors to the dialog on this website. I do believe that if the “philosophy” of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the eight I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts were more well known and followed by more people we really could all just get along.
    RAmen