FSM Courthouse Installation

Published March 31st, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

This is one of the greatest things to happen in the history of Pastafarianism. The Cumberland County Courthouse lawn in Crossville, Tennessee now features an enormous statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Behold:

fsmstatbest.jpg

This was the work of Ariel Safdie and her brother David, and it is spectacular. I am sure that everyone who sees it will feel Touched.

Statement at Installation Ceremony

We are lucky enough to live in a country that allows us, its citizens, the freedom of speech. I have chosen to put up a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to represent the discourse between people of all different beliefs. The many faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds of Cumberland County’s residents make our community a stronger richer place. I respect and am proud that on the people’s lawn, the county courthouse, all of these diverse beliefs can come together in a positive dialogue. Here, we are all able to share the issues close to our hearts whether it is through a memorial to the soldiers killed fighting for our country, the Statue of Liberty honoring our nations welcoming promise to all, a group’s fight to stop homelessness, or powerful symbols of faith. I greatly treasure this open forum between everyone in the community.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a pile of noodles and meatballs, but it is meant to open up discussion and provoke thought. Being able to put up a statue is a celebration of our freedom as Americans; a freedom to be different, to express those differences, and to do it amongst neighbors -— even if it is in a noodley way.

Here’s a television news report of the display:

“Our message is freedom of speech, freedom of religion” — Well Said! All Pastafarians should feel fortunate at having such a fine ambassadors for our cause.

I strongly suggest that everyone check out Ariel’s site, itlovesyou.blogspot.com. You’ll find the whole story behind the statue, pictures of the build, and updates as they happen.

Here are a some more pictures:

FSM Bless America
stat3300.jpg
Media takes notice
stat4300.jpg
Just a dream at this point
fsmschem1b.jpg
Construction begins
fsmbuild2a.jpg
Assembly continues
fsmbuild1a.jpg

Thank you very much Ariel – you did an amazing job. Please let me know if you need funding for a Beer Volcano.

Update: cnet news.com has picked up the story here.

85 Responses to “FSM Courthouse Installation”

1. ScaredPastaLover says:

Help! I’m afraid I have lived a bad life and will be sent to the Salad Pit for eternity!

2. King Ravie says:

this made me sooo proud to be from tennessee! :’) wish i could have gotten a picture with it!

3. Carlo Landzaat says:

I think I’ve seen the holy ravioli, is that possible?

• Rev. Wulff says:

Truly it was a blessing from His Noodly Goodness, who can appear however he wishes. Why, I myself thought I saw one of my gnocchi wink at me the other night.

Sauce be with you and RAmen.

4. Rasputin says:

This is a brilliant piece of work. Well Done, and Thankyou to those authorities who allowed it to happen. I profoundly agree with the statement which was made at the installation ceremony.
    Here’s an idea. Has anyone made a model or an illustration of the FSM in the style of the Statue of Liberty? Perhaps the FSM can hold aloft the torch of freedom with his noodly appendage. Maybe “photoshop” an image by taking a real photo of the Statue of Liberty and substituting the FSM. It ain’t difficult if you’ve got the software.

5. Beatricepaghetti says:

I don’t mean to offend, but how did the flying spaghetti monster get created if he created everything? Did he create himself?

• Rev. Wulff says:

Bea, the FSM has always existed. It just *is*.

6. Weird Old Man says:

Praise Cthulhu who hath sheltered me beneath His immense leathery wings, showered me with his multi-tenticled love; and promised to devour me last!

P.S Cthulhu really likes Spaghetti and Meatballs!

7. Rasputin says:

Who or what is Cthulhu? Sorry, did I miss something? Oh and Happy Monstermass to you all!

• Keith says:

Cthulhu is a god/monster from the writings of H P Lovecraft, who writes something like this “It was indescribable: it had green skin and 12 tentacles etc etc.”

8. Lilly says:

I respect that you have something to believe in and your lives are devoted to it, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster isn’t the one true god we should be praising. The one true god is God and the one true Lord is Jesus. John 1:1-5 says, “In the beginning there was the word, the word was with God and the word was God. And he existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” It refers to the darkness as all the evil in the world. There are many events in history that wouldn’t be possible without Gods wonderful miracles. Please do not take this as an insult to your religion. America is a free country and you can believe in whatever religion you want, but please remember that God is the true God.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Lilly, you just made my day. Thank you.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Lilly, some people say Pastafarianism has been ridiculous and stupid since the Prophet Bobby revealed it to us. We Pastafarians say that Islam, Christianity and Judaism have been ridiculous and stupid for a great deal longer. Being stupid for a much longer time doesn’t actually make those religions any less stupid than ours.

• Rasputin says:

Dear The Sauceror, I hope Lilly writes a bit more craptep. It’s boring when we don’t get any.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rasputin, since nobody has given us any craptep for a long time, I’m always happy when somebody does. I definitely encourage this sort of behavior. I hope that Lilly is not another hit-and-run poster, like so many others, like Roxanne, for example. You are absolutely right that being stupid for a longer time does not make one smarter.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Lily,

There is a whole wide world outside of America. You’d do well to remember that.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear SillyKiwiMan, please join us in the tree-topper post for a discussion regarding a query from John about “could someone explain what fms is”. We may have another potential convert, and I look forward to your usual insightful commentary.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Lilly, is there a Christian blog where we can continue this discussion? I’d love to read responses from other Christians. Who knows?- You might even convert me. Don’t miss this opportunity to save our souls. Please tell us about any Christian blog which you use.

• Keith says:

Lilly, can you give me your best argument for why I should believe in your god?

• Excelsior says:

Lilly
      All the religions except us claim that their God is the only true God! We believe all Gods were created equal (including the Atheist “God”) and we don’t negate any God from Allah to Zeus. After all, religion is based on faith and you don’t need any proof to have faith. As a matter of fact, it wouldn’t be a faith any more if you had proof! I don’t have to have faith to believe that Obama is President!
      Moreover, if you want to use the Bible to prove God then you must first prove the Bible! Your Bible was written by bronze age nomads. Our Bible was written by a modern College graduate!
      If you think our FSM is funny then take a look at some of the animals you find God living with, ie. “four living creatures full of eyes in front, behind and inside, each with six wings”! (If you read your Bible you should be able to find this quote!)
      I am not trying to convert you to our church, i’m just trying to show you that we are no more silly than other religions! We welcome everyone here no matter what his/her religion is.
      God bless you!

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Excelsior, I am sure that you are aware of the four-legged birds, the bats that are birds, the unicorns, and the dragons. I would hate to think that the Bible is completely absurd.

• Keith says:

I never noticed that before. You are right. “All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination to you” (Lev. 11: 20)

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Lilly, you are quite right about your statement that “the Flying Spaghetti Monster isn’t the one true god we should be praising”. The Flying spaghetti Monster is the ONLY one true god we should be praising. Many Pastafarians, including myself, often forget this subtle, but important distinction. Thanks for correcting this oversight. We wouldn’t want the FSM to think that we might be cheating on him with some other imaginary gods. You may also want to pull out a globe of the Earth, where you might notice that there are places that don’t start their sentences with “America is a free country” when they are talking about themselves. May the sauce be with you.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

So, if I read you correctly, we are free to believe in whatever we want. As long as it’s what YOU believe in.

P.S. Circular logic gets you nowhere. I.E. The Christian god is the true god because Christian literature tells you he is, and all the Christian religious figures will tell you the BuyBull is the word of god. Even the impossibilities and absurdities and contradictions.