FSM Courthouse Installation

Published March 31st, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

This is one of the greatest things to happen in the history of Pastafarianism. The Cumberland County Courthouse lawn in Crossville, Tennessee now features an enormous statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Behold:

fsmstatbest.jpg

This was the work of Ariel Safdie and her brother David, and it is spectacular. I am sure that everyone who sees it will feel Touched.

Statement at Installation Ceremony

We are lucky enough to live in a country that allows us, its citizens, the freedom of speech. I have chosen to put up a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to represent the discourse between people of all different beliefs. The many faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds of Cumberland County’s residents make our community a stronger richer place. I respect and am proud that on the people’s lawn, the county courthouse, all of these diverse beliefs can come together in a positive dialogue. Here, we are all able to share the issues close to our hearts whether it is through a memorial to the soldiers killed fighting for our country, the Statue of Liberty honoring our nations welcoming promise to all, a group’s fight to stop homelessness, or powerful symbols of faith. I greatly treasure this open forum between everyone in the community.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a pile of noodles and meatballs, but it is meant to open up discussion and provoke thought. Being able to put up a statue is a celebration of our freedom as Americans; a freedom to be different, to express those differences, and to do it amongst neighbors -— even if it is in a noodley way.

Here’s a television news report of the display:

“Our message is freedom of speech, freedom of religion” — Well Said! All Pastafarians should feel fortunate at having such a fine ambassadors for our cause.

I strongly suggest that everyone check out Ariel’s site, itlovesyou.blogspot.com. You’ll find the whole story behind the statue, pictures of the build, and updates as they happen.

Here are a some more pictures:

FSM Bless America
stat3300.jpg
Media takes notice
stat4300.jpg
Just a dream at this point
fsmschem1b.jpg
Construction begins
fsmbuild2a.jpg
Assembly continues
fsmbuild1a.jpg

Thank you very much Ariel – you did an amazing job. Please let me know if you need funding for a Beer Volcano.

Update: cnet news.com has picked up the story here.

64 Responses to “FSM Courthouse Installation”

1. David says:

I don’t suppose that fundamentalist pastafarians would consider me a heretic if I said it needs more marinara sauce?

2. Selena says:

Article got farked!
    RAmen.

3. Newt says:

A pirate friend of mine told me about FSM and all of his noodly goodness! I now feel compeled to educate everyone I meet about FSM.

4. flashfried says:

Maybe I am not worthy of noodles. I love the statue. But I never thought of fsm as being a “religion” of tolerance so much as a wonderful, satirical, response or critique of it.

While the mainstream reaction is general condemnation or ridicule rather than intellectual I cannot give religion a free pass for all it’s inanities.

5. Badaz5thGrader says:

Wow, recently the Vatican put its first church in Qatar http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Religion/?id=1.0.2025120577 and now we have his Noodley Holiness in the Bible-belt. We are finally seeing progress with religious freedom.

6. Jimmy says:

Are we going to start saying non-FSM humans are going to eternal hell? It tends to boost membership numbers!

7. Basil Baxter says:

Dear Pastafarians,

Basil Baxter Loves You. It warms Basil Baxter’s heart to see so many people in the thrall of this One True Friend that you have in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But Basil Baxter fails to see how this Flying Spaghetti Monster deserved a statue. After all; statues are awarded to people who kill people, as it should be. How many people has this Flying Spaghetti Monster killed? No counting people choking in restaurants please, accidental deaths do not count.

8. Ubi Dubium says:

@ StephyPoo
    Well – Google IS god. I have a button on my computer marked “god” and when I push it it takes me to Google. Google is always there, comes as close to knowing everything as I could want, and when I ask a question I get a useful answer every time. Better than most other gods out there (except, of course, the FSM).
    Really – there is an online Church of Google. It’s easy to find the website. Just Google it!
    RAmen