FSM Courthouse Installation

Published March 31st, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

This is one of the greatest things to happen in the history of Pastafarianism. The Cumberland County Courthouse lawn in Crossville, Tennessee now features an enormous statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Behold:

fsmstatbest.jpg

This was the work of Ariel Safdie and her brother David, and it is spectacular. I am sure that everyone who sees it will feel Touched.

Statement at Installation Ceremony

We are lucky enough to live in a country that allows us, its citizens, the freedom of speech. I have chosen to put up a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to represent the discourse between people of all different beliefs. The many faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds of Cumberland County’s residents make our community a stronger richer place. I respect and am proud that on the people’s lawn, the county courthouse, all of these diverse beliefs can come together in a positive dialogue. Here, we are all able to share the issues close to our hearts whether it is through a memorial to the soldiers killed fighting for our country, the Statue of Liberty honoring our nations welcoming promise to all, a group’s fight to stop homelessness, or powerful symbols of faith. I greatly treasure this open forum between everyone in the community.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a pile of noodles and meatballs, but it is meant to open up discussion and provoke thought. Being able to put up a statue is a celebration of our freedom as Americans; a freedom to be different, to express those differences, and to do it amongst neighbors -— even if it is in a noodley way.

Here’s a television news report of the display:

“Our message is freedom of speech, freedom of religion” — Well Said! All Pastafarians should feel fortunate at having such a fine ambassadors for our cause.

I strongly suggest that everyone check out Ariel’s site, itlovesyou.blogspot.com. You’ll find the whole story behind the statue, pictures of the build, and updates as they happen.

Here are a some more pictures:

FSM Bless America
stat3300.jpg
Media takes notice
stat4300.jpg
Just a dream at this point
fsmschem1b.jpg
Construction begins
fsmbuild2a.jpg
Assembly continues
fsmbuild1a.jpg

Thank you very much Ariel – you did an amazing job. Please let me know if you need funding for a Beer Volcano.

Update: cnet news.com has picked up the story here.

67 Responses to “FSM Courthouse Installation”

1 2 3 8
  1. I Drive a YAR-is says:

Good I saw this article the other day and was hoping you saw it as well. We all need to live in a fair and balanced city like this. I just wonder how long until the Jesus nuts(hardcore christians) whine and cry about this.

2. Dennis says:

This is fantastic! Thanks to David Safdie and his sister.

3. Captain Ticonderoga Black says:

Absolutely amazing. I’m glad to see that everyone’s so open in this community. I wanna move there!

4. a sarcastic wench says:

Fantastic. That is the most awesome thing I have seen in a long time- Ramen.

5. elskede says:

thank you for being alive, awake and using your brain. It feels good to meet the presence of others who strive to enjoy the short life we have.
    I would not enjoy living my whole life thinking it sucks, and waiting for a magical being to take off the shackles and grant my freedom, nor to lay in fear, that I may soon face am eternal unjust punishment from tha “all-loving” creator.

your sculpture is pretty.
    -gaz

6. James says:

WHOOO, and were finally not being hacked as well right? What a great community, and who cares if the jesus nuts start to whine, if they take down our display, they have to take down their jesus! (R)Amen

7. Balthazar says:

It is fantastic that they are open to such displays, but gloating over how it will piss off the Christians kind of ruins the message. I enjoy the church of the FSM because of it’s no dogmatic ways and it’s support of freedom and tolerance, but it seems that many people use it to attack other faiths. I feel this undermines the message it sends and makes this church no better than the fundamentals and fanatics of other world religions. In the end it will be freedom and forgiveness that will bring people of all faiths together and end the thousands of years of bloodshed in whatever deities name. There is truth in all religions, to throw that out because you don’t like what they have become is a terrible waste, and to judge someone based on their faith is exactly what got us here in the first place. Peace brothers and sisters, and Ramen.

8. Rose / Intergalactic Hussy says: