Public hearings in Florida

Published January 6th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

evol2.jpgThe Florida State School Board is holding public hearings to talk about changes to science standards.

New standards were written by scientists and educators, but some evangelical Christians want Creationism and Intelligent Design taught as well.

Clearly, this is an issue that concerns us. Are there any Pastafarians in Florida willing to give us a first-hand report?

They’ve held a meeting in Jacksonville already. There’s a meeting in Fort Lauderdale next week.

You can read the article from First Coast News, though it does not say much.

A more informative article: here

*Update*

The meeting in Ft. Lauderdale is scheduled for:

JANUARY 8TH from 5:30-7:30pm at Everglades High School

Can anyone make it? A prize to anyone who shows up in pirate regalia and asks – respectfully – if the new standards will be inclusive of the beliefs of Pastafarians.

55 Responses to “Public hearings in Florida”

1 2 3 7
  1. Wench Sophie says:

Crap, I live in Florida now, and my parents are putting me in public school next year! Since I moved from Illinois to Orlando (boyband capital of America) my parents are going to put me in the Fine Arts School in Osceola County next year. But now I’m ticked off. RAmen to all who ost after me. I got gold.

2. Cardinal Fang says:

It’s incredible to read the number of “evolution is just a theory” posts in the comments section, and the number of posts wanting ID/ creationism to be taught in science classes.

Just to even things off, there’s now an FSM one as well.

CF

3. Black Hearted Jake says:

Through bleary eyes I misread that as Public Hangings in Florida.

4. thesorgo says:

Winner!!!

5. Starbuckaneer says:

I don’t know how proud I am to admit it right now, but I am in Florida!!!!!!!!!! I’ll keep you guys posted.

6. Starbuckaneer says:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/international/2008/01/05/137782/Florida-school.htm (Doesn’t say too much, either)
    The meeting in Ft Lauderdale is JANUARY 8TH from 5:30-7:30pm.
    That’s all I could find right now.

7. Atheist Pitbull says:

I’m going to look up the state school board’s contact info and see if I can contact them. This should be something that unites Pastafarians and many other free-thinkers into movement. This is our youth’s future at state, because of a small group of people’s personal views, they have no concern for the children.

8. cwru pirate says:

I am ready when the FSM calls on me to unleash yet another e-mail onslaught for equal time in the classroom for His Noodlyness and all our pastafarian ways!!!
    RAmen to all!!!