woman kicked off bus for reading the bible too loudly, claims persecution

Published January 3rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

biblelady1.jpg

CBS reports a lady was escorted off a public bus after reading the bible too loudly.

Lutz, a Seventh Day Adventist, and her children were on their way to church.

Lutz claims the driver told her it wasn’t the time or place to read the bible. “I said, ‘Oh, but it’s the perfect time and the perfect place since it is our Sabbath and it is the time with the Lord and therefore I’m going to continue.’ And I continued,” Lutz said.

A supervisor was called in, she refused to quiet down, and was escorted off the bus. She now claims she was being persecuted for her beliefs.

You can read about it here.

A note to the Bus Lady: That’s not persecution. Persecution would have been if the rest of the bus was full of Muslim and Hindu passengers, all reading their religious texts loudly, and you – and only you – were kicked off the bus for reading aloud from your Christian Bible. What happened is that you were being rude and insensitive to the other passengers, wanted special treatment, and were rejected.

104 Responses to “woman kicked off bus for reading the bible too loudly, claims persecution”

1. Jean Bart says:

Maybe it’s my lack of knowledge of Shakespeare’s tongue, but I do feel like a difference between “kicked off bus” and “escorted off the bus”.
    Anyway, if all people began to read out loud, sing, dance, pray, whatever on the buses, subways and trains, they could also start to accuse each other of disturbing one’s concentration. Don’t the Seventh Day Adventists have proper places for a chat with their deity? Chapels, churches, cathedral, basi… oops, that’s my old RC background playing up…
    Pastafarians could start cooking pasta on the bus. Which would probably go unnoticed in countries such as China and India, where the complete everyday tasks continue when using public transport anyway.

2. Squingleberg says:

Wow…I have never been a first poster before…I should use this opportunity to say something profound and thoughtful about this woman reading the bible on the bus…

“Ha! Ha! Now you have to walk to Church!”

…Okay not so profound. But really, what is it with religious crazies that makes them feel the need to makes some large public display of faith?

Just a couple weeks ago I just so happened to run into some Mormon family friends in the Seattle Tacoma Airport, seeing we both had extended layovers we decided to grab some dinner at a restaurant. When our food arrived, what do my Mormon friends do? They all bow their heads and start to pray loudly. Everyone in our area started to stare and glare in annoyance, but because of the whole table having their eyes closed, everyone chose me to glare at. All I could do was look apologetic and mouth the words “sorry”.

What’s wrong with these people?!

3. KaelinRing says:

Hahahahah, nice. I would have never had the meatballs to go up to a person reading the bible too loudly and tell them to stop. I’d be afraid of getting stabbed. All the more power to the bus driver.

4. Pacific Pam says:

@Cap’n Ollie. Oh My FSM! your freaking reply came with an answer from prophet Bobby…and it was a correction..

5. Satan says:

It’s bad enough to be rude and stupid, but please don’t be rude and stupid and try to justify it.

6. Shenroon says:

now if only the same idea could apply to public places……
    (and before people quote the American constitution I live in the U.K)

7. Mike says:

I’d like to know just how loudly are we talking here? About a casual talking level or was she using her outside voice? Or maybe the inbetween I’m talking louder than necessary but it’s not quite yelling voice.

8. Ohio Pirate says:

I feel sorry for the kids. May his noodly appendage touch them all!
    RAmen.