woman kicked off bus for reading the bible too loudly, claims persecution

Published January 3rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

biblelady1.jpg

CBS reports a lady was escorted off a public bus after reading the bible too loudly.

Lutz, a Seventh Day Adventist, and her children were on their way to church.

Lutz claims the driver told her it wasn’t the time or place to read the bible. “I said, ‘Oh, but it’s the perfect time and the perfect place since it is our Sabbath and it is the time with the Lord and therefore I’m going to continue.’ And I continued,” Lutz said.

A supervisor was called in, she refused to quiet down, and was escorted off the bus. She now claims she was being persecuted for her beliefs.

You can read about it here.

A note to the Bus Lady: That’s not persecution. Persecution would have been if the rest of the bus was full of Muslim and Hindu passengers, all reading their religious texts loudly, and you – and only you – were kicked off the bus for reading aloud from your Christian Bible. What happened is that you were being rude and insensitive to the other passengers, wanted special treatment, and were rejected.

104 Responses to “woman kicked off bus for reading the bible too loudly, claims persecution”

1. Angel Pastalena says:

Preaching should be left at home and churches don’t bring that mess on mass public transportation. If the driver can’t concentrate on their driving due to distraction in the background, it would be respectful of the nutty person or people to shut up and allow the driver to do their job. Had the bus crashed due to the crazy lady’s high volume reading who was going to take responsibly or take the blame for the whole thing? I rather insure safety with minimal disturbance than tons of it coming from a loud reader. Reading the bible wasn’ likely the issue it was how freaking loud the woman was. The only reason why this crap got attention was because it’s America’s beloved religion other than that it would have been settled in no time.

2. bob says:

Ya’ll all messed up

3. robc says:

–”This was definitely a clear cut case of persecution,” Lutz said.–

I couldn’t read the article without smirking… I kept seeing Lutz as ‘Lulz’ (aka, alternative to ‘lol’). Living in the ‘bible belt’ myself.. Lets just say I’m just glad it wasn’t my state. Raised a southern Baptist.. lets just say I have a bit of sympathy for the Christians who don’t impose, threaten, bother others with religion. I feel embarrassed for them, so to speak.

4. penpen15 says:

The reason why there are rules such as “dont play your music too loudly” or “have headphones with MP3 players” are posted on buses, are to NOT let noises distract the driver. If she is offending or distracting other people/the driver, then she needs to get kicked off. I’m sure if some Muslim or Jew or some other religious person was reading from the karan or whatever it is they worship, she would have gladly escorted them off the bus. This is a lady desperate for attention and just being plain old stupid. Yet another disgrace to America

5. Parker says:

I attend a black southern baptist church just for the music ;) I also got kicked out of a “wildlife party for middleschoolers” (Evangelical propaganda) for wearing a t-shirt. And saying Clapton was god.

6. Sarah says:

Man, I feel sorry for her kids.

7. pitbull says:

Being somewhat familiar with Adventist teachings (my parents’ religion of choice during my childhood), her reaction doesn’t surprise me. Adventist doctrine practically mandates the belief that the world is out to get them. In short, they think they’re the chosen people, instead of pirates, which is clearly absurd. They still hold onto the belief that a Catholic Pope will be the antichrist, and that the United States is the beast of Revelations. (By the way, does Pastafarianism admit of an antipasta?) They go even further, in that it’s not good enough in their system to believe in Jesus and be good and all that stuff…at some point, you have to decide whether or not you’ll show the ultimate level of devotion and not work or do anything un-Jesuslike on Saturday (not Friday, for FSM’s sake), which is, in their view, the most important of all of God’s commandments. At some point, the faithful will not be allowed to buy or sell unless they break this rule and worship on Sunday (again, not Friday!) I presume this means they won’t be able to partake of pasta during this tribulation. Personally, I’m glad this happened to her. The ridiculous beliefs and assertions of those who would force their beliefs on others, as she was clearly doing, should be held up for public scrutiny. If ridicule follows, tough.

8. Grave says:

I agree completely with penpen15….