I stumbled upon this site just now

Published January 13th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

I stumbled upon this site just now and I’ve read most of the information here…I have to admit that it really disturbs me. I COMPLETELY AGREE that religion should not be taught in a science class at public schools (this debate is going on where I live too). However, I am really offended by the way the Open Letter and the other information completely makes fun of Christianity and the arguments that some Christians have made for intelligent design. Also, the T-shirt designs are blatantly disrespectful of Christianity. As a Christian myself, I find it very saddening that God has become replaceable by an imaginary ball of pasta in the minds of an apparently large number of people.

Any comments are appreciated, and may God bless you all.
-Rachel-

195 Responses to “I stumbled upon this site just now”

1. TimSmood says:

So it happens that whenever a ‘religiot’ is asked enough questions so as to appear that he / she believes what they have to say is valid, they boldly step up on the platform and begin to pontificate while claiming the teachings of their invisible man in the sky to have merit all the while bearing no scientific evidence. I don’t hold the same compassion for this person as some of you might although in contrast, I feel an immense amount of compassion for my fellow man (or woman). The perceived kindness of this person can be seen as the same ‘Jesus loves you’ mentality which purports to care for one another while often it preys upon the weak-minded and needy in hopes of any future tithing. The religious zealots who blatantly seek to either destroy the body or misguide the MIND (couldn’t resist the caps) of those around them, particularly children, deserve no better than the destruction caused by theists and deists over the centuries.

Is it so inconceivable that man can eventually learn to care for one another without the need of mysticism? Shouldn’t one of our purposes be to insure a better life for all subsequent generations and not bother ourselves with passing down religious dogma or any such unprovable optimistic (eventually fatalistic) propaganda to distract said offspring? After all, religions do not have a monopoly on compassion or love for one another as they would have many believe (i.e. if you’re not for us, you must be against us and therefore evil).

To her most recent posting; it has the potential to start the downward spiral that will only elevate the soapbox she now feels proud to mount. Philosophers and scientists have made mention of the fact that these conversations are not worth the time lost. I would no sooner ask her to elaborate on her views, even for my own amusement, than I would to ask a mouse if mouse heaven is closer because he’s smaller. The relevance is the same.

Rachel, I would only ask that you take time and consider a simple quote by Carl Sagan -

‘Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence’.

2. Kira says:

Dear Rachel
    You seem to be an intelligent and reasonable person so it really pains me to see you struggling to make excuses for an allegedly perfect entity that, if it existed, wouldn’t require neither excuses nor your protection. You read replies to your posts and then hold on to a piece or an argument you think to be wrong, ignoring all other points being raised because those are either impossible to reconcile with your beliefs or because they’re making you uncomfortable or both. You basically suspend a reasoned discussion based on facts and rather cling to beliefs or dogmas. You’re really not the only religious person who does that and that is precisely the problem which many atheist have with religion and its advocates – it tells you blind faith is a virtue and makes free inquiry impossible. It lends basis to utter bullshit like ID and the suspension of reason feeds the devotion of faithful suicide bombers.
    For example, you replied to jay about the labeling of god as a “he”, but that utterly missed the point of jay’s post. The gender of god was just one of many way more important points – none of which you refuted because you (or anybody else) really can. Also? God is neither male nor female, but Jesus is God (is he now? I thought he was the son of god? Christians really can’t make up their minds about this one…) and Jesus was male and so God is male. The laws of logic spot a contradiction there…
    Oh, and I just had to reply to this =D “This is actually a good question. Why didn’t God create people to love and worship him automatically? If you had a love potion that would make someone love you, would you give it to “them? Of course not. Love doesn’t mean anything unless it’s given freely, by choice.”
    Yes. And if they don’t give it freely He, in his infinite mercy, tortures them forever! But he hearts you!

3. BlackBard says:

Rachel,
    Thank you for continuing to participate in this thread. I have two comments. In your last message, you said, “@Fusillier: I’m not quite sure what you’re telling me…I should ask myself why it bothers me that people worship pasta? Or I should ask myself why there are people worshiping pasta? Well just to be safe, I asked myself both.”
    Did you come to any conclusions?
    Your original post ended with, “I only ask this: Please keep your minds and hearts OPEN to God and anything He tells you. God is with you always, and He wants you to know Him and follow His path for your life. Just make sure, as attractive as the FSM-god may be, that you are not worshiping him and placing him ahead of the GOD who is REAL and alive today.”
    Given that there is only one God, Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Pastafarians must all worship the same entity (god). See, we already have a point upon which we can agree.
    Let’s be clear that the name of this deity is beside the point. Some name the deity “God.” Some use the name, “Allah,” “Jehovah,” “Yahweh” or “Flying Spaghetti Monster.” The reference is to one and the same entity. If there is only one “God,” then any disagreement we may have is only about the attributes of this deity, not His, Her, or Its existence.
    We Pastafarians believe that the the deity has some of the following attributes:
    He* has many Noodly Appendages.
    He likes beer, strippers and pirates.
    He is not vindictive, vengeful or vain.
    He does not require anyone to believe in him or worship him in order to go to heaven.
    He does not require sacrifices or purity from us.
    He is tasty and nutritious.
    He is REAL and alive today!
    Pastafarians are a community of peaceful open-minded worshipers. We invite you to join us. You have nothing to loose and so much to gain. Besides, we offer a free thirty day guarantee. If you are not Touched by His Noodly Appendage, you can go your own way. No hard feelings.
    RAmen

*Some Pastafarian scholars maintain that the FSM is actually a female and should be referred to as “She.” For the sake of convention and because “The Gospel of The Flying Spaghetti Monster”, our sacred text, refers to Him as “He,” we will continue to do so for the purpose of this discussion, intending no disrespect to our Wenches or any female Pirates.

4. BlackBard says:

Kira said, “Yes. And if they (people) don’t give it (love to God) freely He, in his infinite mercy, tortures them forever! But he hearts you!”
    I never could figure that one out, myself. Maybe that’s why the FSM is so much tastier.
    RAmen

5. jon says:

I’ve seen PROOF that Google is God

6. TimSmood says:

I agree with MV. No pastor should live beyond the means of the least of his congregation. If a homeless woman drops her shopping cart at the church entrance and then enters the church to give a dollar to charity, should the pastor live beyond her means? A dollar given may represent her 10%. Let’s assume that for her it is a a daily donation. That means that here total income is $70.00 / week. How is it possible for a preacher to ask her to give this amount without living in the same poverty that she is realizing. Yet I would not be surprised at those parishes that do not scrutinize these contributions. Shouldn’t they be vigilant as to the contributors? Many churches know their diocese but will not pursue the occassional drop in. Many would argue; “The pastor is learned and should therefore be compensated”. I too am learned. I understand that the noodly appendage touches us all. If I go door to door expressing this sentiment I should at least expect a donation to the spaghetti dinner / bingo night. Here you will achieve the holy imbibing of the pasta infestation as well as the divine meatball blessing accompanied by the sauce of the father (or mother depending on your gender preference). In addition, you may gamble away money that you contribute and then, if you are a winner, pull from it the funds of the needy who have chosen not to gamble and instead have made horrible sacrifices based on the promises made by the church. Sounds like fun ! ! !

Allow me to express in profundity; Praise be to pasta. May you only go soft when ready for consumption. Couscous is our smallest god but when assembled, can be powerful (and distasteful). Couscous is very possibly the demigod some may seek. Ignore Couscous and revile any references for it may be your next regurgitation. Evil lies within. It presents itself as a lower form of our beloved SM but is fractional in size. May it burn in the pots designed for its demise. Be damned and know thy name is truly GRITS. You fool not even the fools. PastaPhony shall by thy name and forever shall ye suffer the eternal flame of the stove. Boiling in water is thy fate and then flailing and thrashing on to the plate shall ye go. As ye writh in all your disgusting pieces ye will know, FSM still loves you. Now get into that trashbin post haste.

7. Perna de Pau says:

It has been a long time since I last checked this thread and I am glad to see that it has evolved nicely. I particularly appreciated the posts by Mortal, perhaps because his (her?) situation and questions are similar to mine.
    Rachel seems to have almost the same doubts we (or at least many of us) once had and I feel that she will be touched by the noodly appendages very soon. Some people use religion as crutches, something that helps them in every day’s life (this is why Lenin said that religion was opium for the people). Most of those however, and Rachel is one of them, would be surprised to find out that they do not need any crutches and that it is much more pleasant to walk without them.
    RAmen and enjoy the Friday

8. MV says:

Rachel, I do want to say in case i have not that I appreciate that you are one of the few that post a message and continue the debate. No matter what your beliefs are, whether I agree or not, I do respect you and the pleasant way you interact with the members on this site.
    Ramen!