hmm…

Published January 23rd, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

HMM….

This website (as the writers probably intended) has commenters with a wide range of views on life and “religion.” Some claim openmindedness, others bash Christianity for, well, anything.

Please do not consider it a heresy to your conglomerate that a Christian that believes in Intelligent Design is commenting on your site, but I have some things to say about us:

Christianity is not a just a way of thinking or living or a “religion.” We do not picture God as flying somewhere overhead, watching our every move, waiting to punish us. He does watch our every move, but He acts with justice and mercy, and most of all, agape (love).

He is not just something to “get us through” life, though he certianly does that. For many of us, He is WHY we get through life doing what we do, not just HOW. He is there when we need help, but that is not His purpose. However, our purpose in life is to worship Him (he needs no help). I suppose there is no way y’all can understand unless you’re on this side of the fence.
-kaykay

86 Responses to “hmm…”

1. Ann says:

Hmm… Not a lot of love in the old testament, or in Revelations… more like “smiting.”

2. Cap'n Rose says:

“I suppose there is no way y’all can understand unless you’re on this side of the fence.”

If you wish us to accept your beliefs, kindly do the same for us. Preferably without threatening us with hell, it really doesn’t make anyone feel particularly friendly.

3. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Cap’n Rose
    “That’s a bit of a misconception. I well understand the role religion plays in many people’s lives, and unlike a few of my more argumentative shipmates, support it fully. I’m simply here to remind you that faith and science are separate. Keep your religious teaching to religious classes and out of our science, and I have no issue with you.”
    I’m afraid (or glad?) that I’m not that open-minded. Imagine kids first having a physics class in the morning then to follow it up by a religious class that will tell them that what the physics teacher said about the size of the universe is a big lie because light from faraway galaxies couldn’t have traveled to earth in ~6000 years. I’m all for not teaching things in religious classes that are demonstrably false, like young earth creationism. Call me an atheist bigot if you will, but I don’t see why such things should be taught in any class.

4. Aristotle says:

“He acts with justice and mercy”

If he acts with justice, why does he condemn homosexuals to hell? Gayness doesn’t hurt anyone.

5. Jehovallah says:

is god watching when children are raped? That’s some sick stuff — he should find a therapist.

6. sin=fun says:

Gos acted with mercy when he flooded the world to destroy all life because only one man was free from sin. What about newborn babies? Were they full of sin? Form your comments, I cna figure out a great deal about you. You are white, and of German or English descent. You are either Lutheran or Methodist. You lived in a suburban area, as a child, where both your mom and your dad had jobs, and your mom drove a blue minivan, while your dad drove an ordinary car, probably a chevy, silver, to his ordinary job. You have blonde hair and blue eyes, and have never had anything bad happen to you in your life, and it’s easy ofr you to say that God loves everyone and acts with mercy and love.

7. Roanna says:

Scurvy Jen, i hail you for creative thinking and agree that we must be very entertaining, especially from above.

8. Shrödinger's Wife says:

Ah, one that deviated from the Alphabet Mafia’s usual way of signing. They spelled out a letter (k) twice! The originality is fascinating.