As a moderate Christian pastor

Published January 24th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

As a moderate Christian pastor, I’m afraid I can’t join your religion, but I certainly appreciate its goals. Let it be known that not all Christians are goober-heads and some do believe in more of a live and let live philosophy. I figure that if all religions kind of kept it to “Love God (as you understand God), love your neighbor, and share what you have,” we’d all be better off. Any way, thanks to the FSM prophet for the peace offering.
-Dread Pirate David

78 Responses to “As a moderate Christian pastor”

1. capt. kidd says:

i am also a Christian, and i’d have to agree with this pastor, while i can’t join your religoin, i will support it’s goals.
    thx guys,
    for having an open mind.

2. mentos says:

I’m guessing the Bible and the Koran and other books were originally used to make the world a better place. I think by saying there’s eternal happiness for everyone who lives his life crimeless, you trick people into getting along without any violence needed.

Sadly enough, over the course of time this purpose was altered into a reason for war. I really wish people would have evolved over 2000 years, but sadly enough they take these books and use them for evil. They teach the contents of these books everywhere, so a holy war is easily started because people truly believe the “possibilities” described in these books. I know the books are loving. But the people using these books to fulfill their needs are not.

• kevin says:

The light shines through darkness and the darkness doesn’t comprehend it. How can a plumber speak of framing if he doesn’t frame? How can a framer speak of plumbing if he doesn’t plumb?

• kevin says:

Hence; why do speak of the Bible , if you clearly can’t see and definitely cannot hear? Only those predestined Saints can speak of these things, not a pig that returns to the mud or the dog that returns to his vomit

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

To borrow a phrase from my cutlass instructor all those years ago, Gustav “Ding-Dong” Wilmerding:
          “Where’s your point?”

Regards & all, and rAmen

Thomas L. Nielsen
          Luxembourg (expat Dane)

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Does this mean only the insane can be psychiatrists?

3. Alice says:

It just goes to show what a sad state Christianity is in if people can come on here and say something ‘moderate’ and have everyone else be shocked by it (no way! A Christian says this stuff?). Though to be honest it shocked me also. I have been wondering whether or not I can call myself Christian due to my ‘moderate’ beliefs (see below) so to have a pastor acknowledge them gives me a new hope… perhaps…

I consider myself Christian, and I think along the same lines as the pastor – though to answer someone’s questions, my ‘holy book’ does say that you have to trust in God and have faith in Jesus to be saved. So I guess I’m still working things out. Mostly, I figure it’s not my place to judge. I believe in Jesus’ teachings because I know them and have decided that those values are important; someone who doesn’t cannot be judged the same way. I do think that there is a difference between a moral, and an immoral life but I have no idea where to draw the line (goes back to ‘I can’t judge’).

Pastor Pirate Dave did sum up quite nicely what my general idea of a moral life is, but I would even argue that you can demonstrate your love for God without even believing in him (through the ‘love your neighbor’ and ‘share what you have’ points). I think it’s better to do these things without expectation of a reward than to do it to get to heaven (or a beer-filled volcano) and that doing so is, in essence, worshiping and loving the creator (or FSM).

Peace, Love, Pasta,

Alice

4. Kosher Meatballs says:

This guy sounds like my mom on religion…

5. Heartburn Home Remedy says:

Not that I’m impressed a lot, but this is a lot more than I expected for when I found a link on SU telling that the info is quite decent. Thanks.

6. Food for thought... says:

Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. – C.S. Lewis

7. Ham Nox says:

@70

I disagree. The fact that so many people are avidly Christian is pretty important whether it’s true or not.

8. Armando Cheathan says: