19148 Views

As a moderate Christian pastor

Published January 24th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

As a moderate Christian pastor, I’m afraid I can’t join your religion, but I certainly appreciate its goals. Let it be known that not all Christians are goober-heads and some do believe in more of a live and let live philosophy. I figure that if all religions kind of kept it to “Love God (as you understand God), love your neighbor, and share what you have,” we’d all be better off. Any way, thanks to the FSM prophet for the peace offering.
-Dread Pirate David

78 Responses to “As a moderate Christian pastor”

1. Mike says:

Well spoken Dread Pirate David!

Pasta be with you,
    RAmen

2. Fiesta42 says:

Some people say moderate, others might say ‘nonbeliever’ or ‘infidel.’ The sad reality is that there are a lot of people out there who DO push their beliefs on others. Any why wouldn’t they? They know the Truth, and it’s their role to either spread the word or to kill those who have heard and rejected it.

I have to agree with Sam Harris, that on some level moderates form a layer of protection between (those who don’t believe) and the wackos. As long as unquestioning belief (faith) is taught as a virtue instead of honest and open thought, then these wackos will always have an audience.

… With that said, thanks for stopping by. It’s always nice to hear from someone who is both competent and literate.

3. kelly says:

i undertand that most christians aren’t like the vile hate-spewing hypocrites that post on our site. most of the christians i know don’t engage me in religious conversations because they respect that i have different beliefs. but it seems that we don’t often receive emails from kind and tolerant christians like you, but are always defending ourselves against those i mentioned previously. it gets tiring after a while, so emails such as yours are much appreciated. thank you and RAmen!

4. Joe Marinara says:

Peace to you, Pastor, and thanks for not being a goober-head. I love that expression.

5. Anim8or says:

Amen and Ramen to that brother. I totally agree with you 100%. You basically summed up what every major religious text is trying to say (at least at the time it was written, rather than re-interpreted by people with a 40 IQ). In a way it’s why I really like the “8 I really rather you didn’ts” because they are perfectly clear and make perfect sense.

If the old testament, new testament and Koran were all just the one sentence you wrote, can you imagine how much peace and love we would have in the world?

As far as the live and let live philosophy, I am pretty sure Jesus was one of those. He was a very cool man. He would be proud.

6. Perna de Pau says:

Thank you for your nice words.
    I can go along with “love your neighbour” and “share what you have” up to a certain point but I do not understand what “love God” is supposed to mean (I am not being ironic, I really do not know).

7. mikeb says:

Finally a Christian that gets it. It doesn’t matter if he joins or not, that point is that he gets it.

8. PirateFridge™ says:

RAmen, Dread Pirate David. Sounds like you’ve been touched by His Noodly Appendage, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Why not try the 30 day free trial? If you’re not completely satisfied with His Noodly Goodness after 30 days, your old god will probably take you back!