Who’s doing the demonizing?

Published December 8th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Who’s doing the demonizing? I suppose you live south of the 49th, but Athiests who refrain from thrusting an agenda on others (and yes, lots of religious folks do do that) do not get very much flack here. Nor do Sihks, Buddhists or Unitarians. These sects do not, and this is where it might be instructional to your group to sit up and pay attention, construct websites with the single clear purpose being to discredit spiritual people. You are disrespectful and frankly, not too evolved. The rest of the world is striving to move toward to-ler-ance and you’d be well advised to follow suit. I don’t wear a turban, carry a hymn book, wear a cross, a ceremonial sword, I don’t wear blessed underwear or confer with tree goods but I do know that we’d all be better off saying, “I agree to disagree” and cease and desist with campaigns to uncover someone else’s faith as a sham. I think defamation is the word you’re looking for, as opposed to demonisation, unless whereever you’re from really IS the way it’s depicted in South Park (I thought it was a parody!) no one is “DEMONISING” intellectual curiousity,…that’s called ‘science’.

Your logic is not up to snuff. So, if this is not in the name of humour, it’s in the name of logic. Excuse me while I go and ponder that disconnect. There are many, many illogical things that happen in the world with amazing regularity. Does that necessitate a campaign to discredit it? One example, so many people gorge on fastfood that obesity is an epidemic. —> Therefore we should start a campaign to uncover their stupidity and shame them into more informed behaviour while acting as laugh material for the rest of us non-fatties. (the ones who know “the truth” about food)

Have you ever heard of relativism? Do you know that the chances are very, very good that Jesus, the Bhudda (arguably several incarnations) and Muhhomed (sp?) all walked the earth?
-Meichan

73 Responses to “Who’s doing the demonizing?”

1. Mike Meier says:

I’d like to revise my post above to say that I hope we are moving towards a world that is more willing to earnestly and honestly consider other’s points of view and to respect other’s traditions and lore, even if any or all of us decide that it may or may not be simply wrong, silly, or even dangerous.
    P.S. Some excellent comments here. Some clever, and some actually very informative. Thanks.

2. rmw says:

@Wench Nikkie–thank you for those links. I like the arguments that, in a general sense, state that ID does not only a disservice to science, but to faith as well. And, as Mac Johnson pointed out, the IDers are actually small in number, giving me hope that they’ll eventually just fade away.

3. aPaThEiSt says:

Us humans have undergone thousands of years to construct a system of logic, reasoning and scientific inquiry, and there are still people in the way, people who are dishonest and want us to go back to medieval times, people who think that science is a load of codswallop,
    I can tolerate them thinking that, but as soon as they go on and try and get their version of reality taught in SCIENCE lessons, and try and limit women’s rights for certain medical procedures, then it becomes a problem.
    The FSM was created to show the flaw in putting a lie into the wrong place in the education system, if you put one lie, then you have to give all the versions.
    I.e, if you teach that a giant sky-daddy created the universe, then you have to teach that aliens created the universe, and that our earth is flat and resides on the back of a tortoise.
    If you let one lie into a science lesson, why not include all the other infinite lies humans can come up with?
    Or maybe we should just teach SCIENCE in a SCIENCE lesson, that would seem logical, no?
    Of course, since extremists and moderates don’t like the amount of people who believe in god decreasing, they don’t like their faith diminishing, since they think that their faith is weak, they have to go to new lengths to defend it and shove it down young kids’ throats.
    They need to indoctrinate kids with Creationism (Cretinism, really), or else creationism would most probably die out.
    I am not saying we should not teach what other people believe at all, I think lies and ‘alternate theories’ and ‘different interpretations’ of the universe should still be taught in one area:
    Religious Studies (which incidentally, should include every single belief relating to religion/non religion/ agnosticism etc :D).
    Creationism is not science, I could go through all the arguments why it isn’t, but I will only list one:
    > Creationism is not falsifiable, thus it cannot be regarded as a scientific theory or hypothesis.
    Hope you enjoyed this post.

4. Grumpy says:

shouldn’t that be “conifer with trees”?

5. El Peatieablo says:

@ rmw
    “:-) Oh, and where did “Tim the Enchanter” come from? Just curious.”
    ADHD my friend, ADHD.

6. Pluto says:

“…and this is where it might be instructional to your group to sit up and pay attention, construct websites with the single clear purpose being to discredit spiritual people.”
    Erm… Are you aware that there are Christian websites with the clear purpose of trying to discredit scientific understanding? Not just evolution but ALL forms of science that contradict (the already self contradicting) bible.
    Not only this, but they are trying to force these ludicrously unfounded views into the science class, with the clear goal of replacing science with religious clap trap. These people demonise atheists, secularists, and scientists!
    Yes we should all show tolerance. But we shouldn’t show tolerance to the intolerant. Should we tolerate the fascist ideals that lead to genocide in the 1940’s? According to you we should.
    I can only conclude you are actually religious and/or stupid.
    Sorry if that seems intolerant but it is clearly true, I won’t shy from the facts.
    “Your logic is not up to snuff” – well I don’t think it logical to stick stuff up your nose anyway. If you’re trying to say we don’t have logic; then I have my proof you’re an idiot and haven’t read the arguments on this site.
    “…many illogical things that happen in the world with amazing regularity. Does that necessitate a campaign to discredit it? One example, so many people gorge on fastfood that obesity is an epidemic. —> Therefore we should start a campaign to uncover their stupidity and shame them into more informed behaviour while acting as laugh material for the rest of us non-fatties.”
    Actually we do! That’s why governments fund advertising campaigns and committees to combat obesity. More proof that you really haven’t got a clue!
    “Do you know that the chances are very, very good that Jesus, the Bhudda (arguably several incarnations) and Muhhomed (sp?) all walked the earth?”
    But no proof that any of them were divine in any way, let alone that one was the son of a fictional god!
    You are a moron!

7. Kirk T says:

Toleration is not the opposite of intolerance but the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms: the one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, the other of granting it.

Thomas Paine

8. Momi Pink Shoes says:

Blah blah blah. No one cares “Meichan”.
    Buddha has been documented in history. I can’t say about Mohammed, because quite frankly I don’t care enough to look. Jesus has not. He was never recorded anywhere…
    We are agreeing to disagree – we’re just having more fun than you while doing it.