Pinellas County School Board supports Intelligent Design

Published December 19th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

pinellasheader1.jpg

A majority of the Pinellas County, Florida, School Board supports the inclusion of Intelligent Design in the science curriculum, reports the St. Petersburg Times.

Four members of the school board, including the chairperson and vice-chairperson, have made statements in support of Intelligent Design.

The entire theory of evolution is not scientific fact. Intelligent design balances it out.” — Nancy Bostock, Chairperson

I’d probably ideally like to keep it all [evolution and Intelligent Design] out of the classroom. If it’s going to create this much controversy, how important is it?” — Peggy O’Shea, Vice Chairperson

I think that students should be given the opportunity to view all theories on how man evolved and let their science background and their religious background take over as to which one they believe in.” — Jane Gallucci, Member

To teach one [evolution] as if nothing else existed, I think we’re doing our students a disservice.” — Carol Cook, Member

You can read the news article here.

The PCSB website states: “The public is encouraged to contact the School Board members on any issue.”

I suggest we contact the school board and let them know there are more than two theories of our origins. Pastafarianism is built on similar tenets as Intelligent Design, and has much greater support from the academic community. If you decide to write, please be respectful.

Contact Info:

Office: (727) 588-6300
E-mail: Board@pcsb.org

Individual E-mail addresses:
Nancy Bostock: bostockn@pcsb.org
Peggy O’Shea: osheap@pcsb.org
Jane Gallucci: galluccij@pcsb.org
Carol Cook: cookc@pcsb.org

205 Responses to “Pinellas County School Board supports Intelligent Design”

1. cina murtad says:

i am sure there will be classes about the designer of the designer. but whatever that may be, i’m also sure that fsm is the designer of all designers :D hail mighty spaghetti! ramen.

2. Chris says:

Email Sent:

Members of the Pinellas County School Board:

My name is Chris Green, I am currently in my third year of study working towards a combined honours degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry at Dalhousie University. I am writing in support of your decision to expand the scientific curriculum in your school district, but I must also express my concern that you are taking the wrong route. The alternative evolutionary theory that has by far the most support from the academic community is the creed preached by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I think that any science curriculum that does not include His teachings is unbalanced.

I think this is particularly important because, unlike myself, hundreds of thousands of pastifarians around the world are still too afraid to make their views known to the world, for fear of persecution by their peers. I believe in my heart that if His teachings are taught in the science classroom, alongside the alternative theories of evolution and intelligent design of course, students will draw on their scientific and religious backgrounds and certainly make the right choice. Not only will the secret pastafarians of the world feel it is time to finally make their views public, but many non-believers will see the logic and integrity of His word, and convert.

Again I must reiterate, I think you are certainly taking a step in the right direction, but to not give equal time to the FSM theory of creation, which has such widespread support throughout the academic community, you are doing a great disservice to the children of your district. If you have any questions regarding how to incorporate the FSM theory of creation into your classrooms please do not hesitate to contact me. Also, if you would like more information about the church itself, I would be happy to help spread His word to you.

May His Noodly Appendages guide you to make the correct decision.

-Christopher Green

3. capekicks says:

Good letter Cris, I like the emphasis on widespread support of the acaemic community.
    When I sent my letter I got a secretary’s response.
    They have an election coming up and jane galucci wont be running but who knows the position of the replacement.
    Good work Pirate!!!

Aaarrrr!!!

4. Daniel says:

Here’s the email I sent to all of them!

Hello, thank you for being open to ideas and accepting mail from the public! As a student of science, I am thrilled to hear that you are open to teaching various theories, and I have noted that you are now teaching Intelligent Design. I really think it is admirable that students are being taught to look beyond the evidence. But I am very concerned that Pinellas County Schools are not fairly representing all scientific theories equally! I am referring, of course, to the outrageous lack of Pastafarianism in your schools. We believe from our Gospel that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created a midget, trees, and a mountain, and that all people today are direct descendents of pirates. I know this is true because I have felt the touch of His Noodly Appendage in my life. But this is not just a religious feeling, it is a scientific theory! The facts are on our side. No one has disproven that the Flying Spaghetti Monster has simply made the world looking as if we all evolved from a common ancestor. In addition, humans share only about 96% of their DNA with apes, whereas they share 99.9% of their DNA with pirates! For more information concerning pirates and global warming, visit http://www.venganza.org. In the meantime, please give equal representation to everyone who has an idea about the way the world works! Or, of course, you could remove both Pastafarianism and Creationism (oops, Intelligent Design) from your classrooms and simply teach the only theory that the evidence supports and scientists accept: evolution.
    I trust the Flying Spaghetti Monster will reveal himself to you. RAmen.
    Sincerely, Daniel

5. henry.darger says:

interesting. three out of four say they are in favor of, effectively, keeping an open mind and allowing both sides to be presented. and yet, somehow, that becomes simply that they support ID.

I thought one of the most commonly used refrains from the atheist / scientific materialist side against religion / creationism was that religion prevents original thought and critical thinking. Now, it seems, it is the scientific / evolutionist side that is most interested in preventing the propagation of what they see as opposing points of view.

6. UhhKris says:

Wow…
    I used to attend a school in that district.
    Luckily, I moved to Kansas…

7. Marc says:

Not at all, Henry.

What they are all saying is that they see ID as a valid ‘scientific’ theory that can be taught alongside evolution. It is not someone’s belief in ID that upsets the scientific community, but the idea that it is science, where it is clearly not. Please see Greg’s letter above for how to get more information.

8. Alex says:

Henry,
    You can’t equate a scientific theory (such as gravity, relativity (specific and general), evolution, etc… ) to the common use of the word theory which in scientific terms is a “hypothesis”, at best. It has less to do with having an open mind (as you stated) and more to do with when do we as a responsible sociological group draw the line as to what we teach? If we want to teach hypothosis than we must not be selective. I could postulate that my hand is being guided about the keyboard at this very moment by His noodly appendage. Can you refute that? No. I would imagine that all of my Pastifarian bretheren can sense the truthiness of my words, though you might call it my own personal hypothesis. ID is selective in it’s teaching of Faith (I’m sorry, I know you believe it to be science…), but doesn’t it kinda discredit all of the other religions as well (WHAT!? you don’t want to teach Budism, Hinduism or any of the polytheistic religions?)? If you want to stop teaching evolution because of your faith, where do we draw the line? When it no longer becomes inconvenient to your belief system? Well next we’ll have someone into numerology that has a problem with Math and we’ll have to teach BOTH numerology and math. Ok, fine. Let’s do it. Just for fun, lets take a look at young Timmys NEW schedule =)

8:00 English
    9:00 Math
    10:00 Intelligent Design
    11:00 Voodoo!!!!
    1200 Lunch
    1:00 Numerology++
    2:00 Science (covering ALL of the science to include biology, chemistry, geology etc… and of course evolution)

(did I forget Music and Art? Oh right, they’ve been dropped from the curriculum due to all of the competing ‘disciplines’)

Finally at 3:00 Timmy hops on the bus, excitedly chatting with all of his classmates about his upcomming field trip to Salem, MA and his upcomming inquistion project which is due next week!

I feel that your “word” has spread quite well without the use of our federally funded school system. There is such a thing as secularity. Oh wait a minute, He has not guided you to read the first ammendment, has He?