Pinellas County School Board supports Intelligent Design

Published December 19th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

pinellasheader1.jpg

A majority of the Pinellas County, Florida, School Board supports the inclusion of Intelligent Design in the science curriculum, reports the St. Petersburg Times.

Four members of the school board, including the chairperson and vice-chairperson, have made statements in support of Intelligent Design.

You can read the news article here.

The PCSB website states: “The public is encouraged to contact the School Board members on any issue.”

I suggest we contact the school board and let them know there are more than two theories of our origins. Pastafarianism is built on similar tenets as Intelligent Design, and has much greater support from the academic community. If you decide to write, please be respectful.

Contact Info:

Office: (727) 588-6300
E-mail: Board@pcsb.org

Individual E-mail addresses:
Nancy Bostock: bostockn@pcsb.org
Peggy O’Shea: osheap@pcsb.org
Jane Gallucci: galluccij@pcsb.org
Carol Cook: cookc@pcsb.org

205 Responses to “Pinellas County School Board supports Intelligent Design”

1. George says:

quote — “I’d probably ideally like to keep it all [evolution and Intelligent Design] out of the classroom. If it’s going to create this much controversy, how important is it?”

*blinks*

also calc is hard… is it realy that important also? can we leave that out so my kids don’t have to think. please no big words in the english books and more pictures.

2. BC says:

Unfortunately, the debate is not only at the county level, as another part of the same article in St. Pete Times reports,

At least one member of the state Board of Education has objected to the proposed standards. Donna Callaway told a religious newspaper in Jacksonville that evolution “should not be taught to the exclusion of other theories of the origins of life.”

Additionally, Selena “Charlie” Carraway, program manager for the state Department of Education’s Office of Instructional Materials, has urged fellow Christians to fight the inclusion of evolution in the science curriculum.

As a science teacher, we appreciate the recognition that the CFSM has brought, and encourage your members to post at the education blog, “The Gradebook”. At least one board member is reading the blog, as she responded to a post. http://blogs.tampabay.com/schools/ is the link.

Thanks!

3. Kirk T says:

I’d really like to see a form letter that we can all use to send to these people. Something so I don’t sound like the pissed-off person that I am.

4. Deelawn says:

Sent an e-mail to them… lol

Hello, I just heard the good news that the Pinellas County, Florida, School Board supports the inclusion of Intelligent Design in the science curriculum. I think that a broader science curriculum is what the students of Pinellas County needs. Also, I hope that this step forward in science education is complimented with Pastafarianism, or FSMism, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We believe the FSM is responsible for the source of all creation, DNA strongly resembling rotini pasta, (two inch lengths of thick screw-like pasta), single-celled string like primitive life, etc.

Sincerely,
    -Dillon L Karchner

5. CapnSkittle says:

“I’d probably ideally like to keep it all [evolution and Intelligent Design] out of the classroom. If it’s going to create this much controversy, how important is it?” — Peggy O’Shea, Vice Chairperson
    o_o That’s a whole new level of stupid.

6. cwru pirate says:

When will it all end!!!! How do these people get elected?!!!!
    I guess I will warm up my keyboard for another e-mail onslaught!!
    Ramen!!

7. Ego Brain says:

“The entire theory of evolution is not scientific fact. Intelligent design balances it out.” — Nancy Bostock, Chairperson
    -but it is a scientific theory with many facts to back it up. Intelligent design is a religious theory with no actual facts.

“I think that students should be given the opportunity to view all theories on how man evolved and let their science background and their religious background take over as to which one they believe in.” — Jane Gallucci, Member
    -Well then this includes FSM of course, and every other religion in the world?

-Well it’s better than the others..

“To teach one [evolution] as if nothing else existed, I think we’re doing our students a disservice.” — Carol Cook, Member
    -Right! So lets teach a theory with no evidence! WOO! Service the students with lies!

8. ihatemyspace says:

:) I sent them a lovely, polite e-mail to let them know about our theory.