I’m sorry to come off strong

Published December 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I’m sorry to come off strong and all but as my school we have believers that follow this. I dont mind in what you believe in for all seriousness BUT the pictures, some are a mockery that you are apperntly trying to put on catholics,jews,lutherians,e.t.c. We dont blast on your religion DONT BLAST ON MINE OR OTHERS! You guys want to be taking serious? well then do it proffessional..
-chris

144 Responses to “I’m sorry to come off strong”

1. bill tomlinson says:

@Jennyanydots

I did attempt to explain what is going on with ‘God’s law’ when I said the following:

The first thing that may stand out here is that this theory is supposed to define right action for everyone, even (and maybe especially) the atheist. So what is rule #3 doing here? We’ll, we should keep in mind that this is meant to be a semantical theory of what right action is, which is to say that the proposed is intended to answer the question “What is conveyed when a person makes a claim involving ‘right action’?” I believe we can trace any such claim to one or more of these three principles.

This is really key in understanding the nature of my proposal. So if it is not clear here, I need to say it another way, or maybe add a few more paragraphs to clarify.

What do you think?

2. bill tomlinson says:

@Jennyanydots
    Thanks again Jennyany,
    The three additional ‘existence pains’ are mine. I don’t have much psychological backup for them, but present them because they seem to have philosophical content and do seem to be things that people commonly wrestle with. I have made a few more notes on them in the latest version, which I will put up now.
    With respect to probability, I forgot to mention that I have a bachelors in Mathematics. I also teach ‘Inductive logic’ sometimes where I present probability theory and statistics. The principle you’re referring to is called ‘the principle of indifference’, that if we have no reason to believe that one alternative is more or less likely than another then we assign them equal probability. But it doesn’t apply to my car in the driveway because I do have reason to believe it is more likely there than not. I parked it there. I have only twice in my life found that a car of my has changed it’s location without my knowledge. I suppose then my probability estimate should be closer to 99% than 95%.
    I didn’t mean to throw an argument from authority at you. I just wanted to assure you that I do understand probability concepts quite well.
    Note that if we used the same logic with the sun rising tomorrow, you would say it either will or won’t, 50%, 50% but because probability is involved in rational decision making, the 50%-50% estimate would not make it rational to plan very far ahead. If each day had that probability, then the probability of making it through the month would be about 1 chance in a billion, 931 chances in a trillion to be more precise.
    Oops, i just realized that ‘billion’ in Europe has a different meaning. In England it means a million millions, but in the US it is merely a thousand millions. I don’t know how trillion works there, maybe a million billions.
    Having said that, thanks a billion. :-)

3. bill tomlinson says:

@jennyanydots
    Is the book getting boring or too long?

4. bill tomlinson says:

@jennyanydots

I’ve found one agent that might be interested. He’s requested a copy of the manuscript. I want to give you a bit of credit for helping me with this. Email me as to what title you would like.
    billtomlinson@mac.com

5. the random frog says:

‘We dont blast on your religion’

have you actually read the rest of this hate mail section?

6. FSMan says:

when you say that you don’t “Blast” on our religion, you do, just read the other comments on the Hate mail. 90% of them are people screaming about burning in hell for eternity.

7. Garrick McElroy says:

I beg to differ. Read the hate-mail section of this site. Christians bash us all the time. I’m simply here to defend His Noodliness. And I believe you did just bash us right there.

Here’s to hoping His Noodly Appendage touches you,
    -GM
    RAmen

If you have any questions about, or just want to discuss the existence of the FSM, you can reach me at kanastag@comcast.net

8. Nick says:

I don’t remember blasting on any religions. Does anyone else? Last time I checked, this guy was sending us hatemail, not the other way around.
    RAmen,