from a scientist

Published December 31st, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I support your intent of countering the “intelligent” design “theorists” and their stealth efforts to bring in Creationism into the classroom (and kick out science). However, what’s this business of pirates vs. global surface temperature. Sure, you make a point that there’s a difference between correlation and causation. Perhaps you’re trying to point out that the true cause of GW may not be man-made green-house gas emissions. Well, the scientists have studied this problem and have come to the conclusion that it is. Please don’t give with one hand and take with the other. You support the scientists in Darwinian evolution and on the other hand don’t in GW science.
I suggest you remove your references to pirates and global surface temperature (your curve does look compelling though).
Regards,
Alan

[A response: No deal, Alan. I tend to agree with the Global Warming hypothesis, and I certainly think it makes sense to err in that direction whether or not you agree with it - I'm all for conservation and green technologies. But, there is an almost religious type of dogma surrounding the Global Warming issue that makes me uncomfortable. Global warming is probably happening, but that is a world apart from saying it is Truth that must be supported. I'm against dogma and a priori reasoning, not any specific beliefs. -bobby]

75 Responses to “from a scientist”

1. Eric Threepwood says:

Hi Jenny. It’s not at all a matter if we deserve it or not. The goal for us a a specie is simply to survive and keep the specie going. As an archaeologist I’m sure you are familiar with this basic principle of life. Therefore I believe we should handle the earth with care, and avoid killing those 90% of other species (which we need in order to survive + it’s a moral issue).

Do you really mean that it is OK for the human race to go extinct? No offence, but I hope you don’t get childrens then, as it would contribute to the survival of our species.

btw: The population in my country are quite stable

2. Ian MacF says:

I, too, have a problem with your pirates and global warming conjunction. As the (retired) CIA pirate analyst I assure you that the number of pirates has not declined over time, but has increased. Of course modern pirates do not operate in quite the same way as ancient ones, but are practitioners of the AK-47 and Zodiac boat more than cutlass or sailing ship. They board and rob ships more often than stealing the complete ship, although that has happened recently as well.

Modern pirates operate in the tropics more often than not, thus preserving the link between temperature and piracy, but correlated opposite to that in the graphic. Most modern pirates can be found in the Malacca Strait, off Somalia, in the Red Sea, and off Nigeria and other coastal areas of West Africa. The Caribbean remains a haven for pirates, especially those who target pleasure craft (yachts) rather than commercial shipping.

My research would indicate a positive correlation between piracy and global temperature as well as a positive correlation between pirates and icebergs.

3. Jennyanydots says:

4. Jean Bart says:

@Jennyanydots Jan 7th, 2008 at 2:02 pm: “No offence taken, Eric – I hope I don’t get kids either. And, yes, I really do mean it’s ok for the human race to go extinct. Besides which, whether or not I or anyone else thinks it’s ok, it’s almost inevitable that one day it will happen, given the fact that something like over 90% of all species that ever lived are now extinct. Generally I’m pretty happy with the thought that it’s going to happen one day. It has to be a really bad day for me to want it to happen immediately!”
    The state we humans put the planet in, makes it a very tough decision to have children, when you see at what pace everything degradates. As a kid, looking at the time line fixed to the wall of the second grade class, I wondered about events in history becoming more and moredense when approaching our era. I didn’t know of the word “exponential” back then. The degradation of the planet follows a similar curve, and the belief in the unlimited powers of science and technology during the 19th century kinda orientated people in the wrong direction, when you look at it now… Maybe it won’t be too late before the people in power not only look at the power of our technology, but actually DO something with it before it is too late.

5. Pluto says:

@Jennyanydots
    Evolve or die! That’s my motto. I don’t mind the human race becoming extinct, nothing in this world stays the same. As I’ve said before there where forests in the Antarctic when dinosaurs walked the earth and when bugs ruled the earth (can’t remember the period, but it was on the BBC’s wonderful ‘walking with monsters’) there was 30% more oxygen in the atmosphere, which would make even the most weedy human able to run a marathon in record time.
    I would, however, prefer to evolve. Like X-men or something.
    Maybe we should return to eugenics. Not the Nazi version, which was frankly shit, as it only concerned it self with turning people into physical perfect homosexual stereotypes. But the real deal! Then some people would be band from breeding. Like Young Earth Creationists and members of the NRA.

6. Pluto says:

@John
    “Dutchie, everything I have heard regarding global warming, from scientists, media, al gore, etc. directly referenced the hole in the ozone layer, and citing global warming and emissions as directly related to the hole, in many causes having caused it. From what I gather, this hole is the focal point of the fight global warming campaigns.”
    You are so full of shit and clearly don’t listen to anything nor can you be bothered to read anything or even use Google you clown.
    The Ozone has nothing to do with global warming! The ozone stops radiation, it has nothing to do with global warming.
    I don’t mind ignorance in these matters, but your statement above shows you have not paid attention but are still trying to pass off a half arsed opinion. How would a meteor affect the Ozone unless it contained large amounts of CFCs or another gas which destroys Ozone?

7. Pluto says:

@Eric Threepwood
    Yes I am serious. Evolve or die, that’s the way it has always been. The human body has been shown to be imperfect, and in fact is very poorly made for how we live. This indicates that we are still evolving and are yet to reach a stable state in the environment we are currently in. If we continue to evolve we will not be humans anymore, we will be something else. There fore the human race would die out. Not in a bang but as a slow farting sound.

8. Pluto says:

@Pacman- If you had read my post you would have seen that events have transpired that have cures more rapid climate change.
    And why does another species have to step up to the plate? Plenty of things will survive us and with out us something else can rise to power through the never ending war of survival that is life.