A distinction

Published December 5th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

A distinction:

I appreciate what you’re saying, and I think it’s important to hear. In writing with such wry and caustic humour, you’re able to really effectively reveal the absurdity of what’s happened. There is a difference, however, between parody and ridicule. At points your sarcasm (“one third time for logical conjecture,” etc.) becomes quite harsh and implies that the religious view denies logic and reasoning wholesale.

You’re dealing with something that, more than being a “precious belief” per se, is an important part of many people’s identity. Many define themselves, not just peripherally, but primarily as “Christians.” Attacking that belief system without at least giving it some hint of respect or sensitivity is akin to mocking a person’s chosen lifestyle, personality, or preferences as not just different but illogical and wrong. You can’t in one section write ironically about the deductive demerits of believing in written scripture as a priori truth and then claim to avoid attacking the very heart of a person’s belief system and philosophical identity. You have literally brought the very basis of not only Christian teaching but religious belief in general into question, and in a fairly patronising and uncompromising way.

I’m not asking you to “present both sides” or any equally bullshit measure. But I am asking you to be empathetic. When criticising the core of a person’s self-identity (what they believe in), it’s important to be a little more humane.

Ryan

112 Responses to “A distinction”

1 12 13 14
  1. expie says:

“implies that the religious view denies logic and reasoning wholesale.”
    I thought religious belief was based on faith, hence devoid of a provable, factual basis and unable to be proven or disproven logically.

“You’re dealing with something that, more than being a “precious belief” per se, is an important part of many people’s identity. Many define themselves, not just peripherally, but primarily as “Christians.” Attacking that belief system without at least giving it some hint of respect or sensitivity…”

I show Christians the same respect I show any dangerously deluded, well armed and powerful insane idiot.

2. Jimmie D says:

Religion does deny logic and reasoning. If I could logically determine that there is a god it wouldn’t be called faith, it would be called truth.

3. Mike Trainor says:

FSM is simply putting a mirror up in front of you. The fact that the picture is silly is the basic point. There’s not a whole lot more of a humane approach than giving you the opportunity to see yourself as we see you.

Treat yourself better. Replace what’s at the core of your self-identity with something that is real and healthy and fun.

When the symbol of your religion is a device used to torture people to death, can’t you see there’s a problem?

4. jimmy choo handbags says:

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

5. steak houses ny says:

I found a site yesteday that appeared much similar to this, are everyone positive another person is not duplicating this website?

6. goods says:

I simply wanted to thank you so much all over again. I am not sure what I would have sorted out without the entire recommendations provided by you over such a subject matter. Entirely was the frightful case for me personally, but encountering this specialised form you solved the issue took me to cry with happiness. Extremely happy for your work and even sincerely hope you are aware of a powerful job you are always providing training most people through a web site. I know that you have never come across any of us.

7. private investigator reciprocity new york says:

Hi, I read youhr neա stuff daily. Yoսr story-telling style is awesome,
    keep it սp!

Stop ƅy my homepagе … private investigator reciprocity new york

8. Locksmith Madison Wi says:

It’s an гemarkable post in support of all tthe onpine users; they
    will get benefit from іt I aam ѕure.

my web site – Locksmith Madison Wi