A distinction

Published December 5th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

A distinction:

I appreciate what you’re saying, and I think it’s important to hear. In writing with such wry and caustic humour, you’re able to really effectively reveal the absurdity of what’s happened. There is a difference, however, between parody and ridicule. At points your sarcasm (“one third time for logical conjecture,” etc.) becomes quite harsh and implies that the religious view denies logic and reasoning wholesale.

You’re dealing with something that, more than being a “precious belief” per se, is an important part of many people’s identity. Many define themselves, not just peripherally, but primarily as “Christians.” Attacking that belief system without at least giving it some hint of respect or sensitivity is akin to mocking a person’s chosen lifestyle, personality, or preferences as not just different but illogical and wrong. You can’t in one section write ironically about the deductive demerits of believing in written scripture as a priori truth and then claim to avoid attacking the very heart of a person’s belief system and philosophical identity. You have literally brought the very basis of not only Christian teaching but religious belief in general into question, and in a fairly patronising and uncompromising way.

I’m not asking you to “present both sides” or any equally bullshit measure. But I am asking you to be empathetic. When criticising the core of a person’s self-identity (what they believe in), it’s important to be a little more humane.

Ryan

110 Responses to “A distinction”

1 2 3 14
  1. Resonator says:

Well, if you say it that way, then I can go along with you. but when someone comes along acting irrational and willfully ignorant of established facts, they deserve to be ridiculed.

2. I love eruptions in heaven says:

I give everyone his right to call himself a Christian, so they must give me the right to “misinterpretate” that as a “person who does not care about the hard facts off reality, as long as he can join his invisible friends up in the sky once he’s dead”.
    When a child of 16 years old has an imaginary friend, we RIDICULE him, when more then half the world has some, we should give it respect and care about their feelings… sounds kind of weird…
    The bible or anything like it is NOT based on logical conjecture, its based on the wishes and whims of the imaginary friend of a person.

A distinction:

I appreciate what you’re saying, and I think it’s important to hear. In writing with such wry and caustic humour, you’re able to really effectively reveal the absurdity of what’s happened. There is a difference, however, between parody and ridicule. At points your sarcasm (”one third time for logical conjecture,” etc.) becomes quite harsh and implies that the religious view denies logic and reasoning wholesale.
    AFAIK it mostly does, so i don’t see your problem.
    Good for them, I define them as “mentally not completely developed”.
    I think such a persons chosen lifestyle, personality, or preferences are indeed illogical, I will not say they are wrong, that is for their imaginary friends to decide. They will of course say its right.
    As I said, the bible may be someone’s guide, it is certainly NOT based on modern logic. This akin to almost every other religion i know of.
    Back then, what Jezus said might have been logic, but today it is not. Why compromise with people unable to comprehend why their refrigator is actually making stuff cold?
    Thus I must be humane to a person who clearly says he beleives exactly the same as millions of others, and that the billions of others are wrong, and will kill for it? Sorry, but I am humane to persons who prove they are human, if the Pope had either Humour or the humaneness to say using condoms is allright and thus saving thousands of people from AIDS, i’d treat him humane, now I think he’s an senile old freak that raped way too many choir boys.
    Ryan
    Nice name by the way, yours truly, ILEIH

3. urmum2k7 says:

but isn’t evolution logical conjecture

4. PacificPam says:

=)

5. David says:

Maybe they should be more humane in their criticism of our core identity! That’s how all these Christian’s are, always hypocritical double standarders.

6. Wil says:

“You have literally brought the very basis of not only Christian teaching but religious belief in general into question”
    So his goal was accomplished?

gold btw

7. Mike187 says:

Gold! Well if they believed in his noodliness, they wouldn’t be ridiculed would they?

8. ollie says:

Ok, I invite the writer of this letter to do the following:

1) tell your fellow theists to quit pushing to have their nonsense taught as science (that is what brought on the FSM to begin with)

2) quit saying how “evil” they think that others are, especially others who believe in other religions and those who simply don’t think that deities exist (FSM excepted, of course :) )

Why is it that people in this society keep asking us to be nice when in fact 99.9% of the ill will actually flows the other way?

Follow what your teacher tells you: “take the beam out of your eye and THEN you can help your brother take the spec out of his”

1 2 3 14