Woman dies from religious snakebite incident, family sues hospital

Published November 11th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

snakejesus.jpg

A woman in London died after she was bitten by a rattlesnake during a religious service of some sort. Her family is now suing the hospital, claiming that hospital employees made fun of her instead of providing proper treatment.

I want to say something, and it might be offensive.

If the hospital employees ignored her symptoms and she died because of medical negligence, then obviously justice should be served. Everyone deserves proper medical treatment, even the very stupid.

The part that gets me is this idea that she shouldn’t have been “snickered” at.

The complaint also says the unprofessional comments about Long’s religious beliefs were discriminatory and caused her and her family emotional pain and humiliation.

Here’s the thing: we’re all free to pursue our religious beliefs. If you play with rattlesnakes because you think Jesus wants you to, fine. As long as you keep your snakes away from me, more power to you. But if you get bit, it’s my right to call you a retard. No offense to the retarded (who have the sense not to play with rattlesnakes).

There is an important, necessary part of a healthy society served by calling out people for doing stupid things.

Respecting your religious beliefs means I won’t interfere with them. It does not mean I won’t make fun of you if you do stupid things.

To the family of the snake-lady: I’m sorry for your loss. It’s a crappy way to die, and it’s the reason most of us don’t dance around with rattlesnakes. Suing the Hospital isn’t going to bring her back. Why not instead speak out about the dangers of your weirdo snake religion, and maybe save another family from the grief you’re going through?

Follow this link to read the lawsuit article.

377 Responses to “Woman dies from religious snakebite incident, family sues hospital”

1. Wench Cyka says:

Eh, “cerebral palsy,” even now she gets me!

2. eileen says:

and “retard,” which does still carry a stigma, is a derogatory term for someone with a learning or developmental disability, which Cerebral Palsy is not.

3. Oleannder says:

WTF???? On top of the whole situation being ridiculous, shouldn’t the family – as supposed Christians – be turning the other cheek & forgiving… not turning the other cheek in order to talk to your lawyer……

The world would be a much happier place if they could just see the light of His noodles.

4. fullmetal says:

ok i didnt read all hte posts but i wana say that we got all rights to say she was stupid as hell,yet it does sound like the hospital did mess up a little, but thats not nessicarily because she was a jesus freak, they sound like there just a crappy hospital… but FTF brach of christianity is this that plays with snakes? anyone know?

5. fullmetal says:

WTF*

6. celosia says:

i saw this comic and it reminded me of this topic

7. Jan says:

OMG! that’s rich!

8. Bill Ross says:

Snakes are symbols. But they are not JUST symbols. They are ALSO an animal that does NOT enjoy being passed around in a cult ceremony!

Yesterday I took my family to the “Discovery Museum” where a snake shat upon my my wife. I could not believe all of the wierd mustard that he lifted up his tail and ejected! But, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Bill Ross