Woman dies from religious snakebite incident, family sues hospital

Published November 11th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

snakejesus.jpg

A woman in London died after she was bitten by a rattlesnake during a religious service of some sort. Her family is now suing the hospital, claiming that hospital employees made fun of her instead of providing proper treatment.

I want to say something, and it might be offensive.

If the hospital employees ignored her symptoms and she died because of medical negligence, then obviously justice should be served. Everyone deserves proper medical treatment, even the very stupid.

The part that gets me is this idea that she shouldn’t have been “snickered” at.

The complaint also says the unprofessional comments about Long’s religious beliefs were discriminatory and caused her and her family emotional pain and humiliation.

Here’s the thing: we’re all free to pursue our religious beliefs. If you play with rattlesnakes because you think Jesus wants you to, fine. As long as you keep your snakes away from me, more power to you. But if you get bit, it’s my right to call you a retard. No offense to the retarded (who have the sense not to play with rattlesnakes).

There is an important, necessary part of a healthy society served by calling out people for doing stupid things.

Respecting your religious beliefs means I won’t interfere with them. It does not mean I won’t make fun of you if you do stupid things.

To the family of the snake-lady: I’m sorry for your loss. It’s a crappy way to die, and it’s the reason most of us don’t dance around with rattlesnakes. Suing the Hospital isn’t going to bring her back. Why not instead speak out about the dangers of your weirdo snake religion, and maybe save another family from the grief you’re going through?

Follow this link to read the lawsuit article.

377 Responses to “Woman dies from religious snakebite incident, family sues hospital”

1 2 3 48
  1. Bookem says:

Oh dear! What will be next?

2. Pixel Pete says:

I honestly can’t see how snakes and Jesus go together…
    Now snakes and planes were just MEANT for each other, but even then Samuel L. Jackson did not approve :D
    RAmen

3. Song says:

Wow. I saw a video like this on YouTube- tongue-in-cheek, mind you- but didn’t expect it to really happen. She should’ve known better than to play with rattlesnakes. But the hospital thing *has* to be exaggerated.
    Silver?

4. Pixel Pete says:

I remember being the first person to post a comment on something. That must have been… 7 or 8 months ago :/
    RAmen

5. El Peatieablo says:

@Pixel Pete
    Yeah, snakes and planes were meant for each other (just not in the bathroom). I saw something like this on the science channel once. Supposedly jesus is saving them from snake. I’m not sure if they explained why so many people were holding rattlesnakes without being bitten because I was laughing too hard. It certainly doesn’t say much about jesus if you can hold the hospital liable for something jesus should have prevented according to your religion.

6. El Peatieablo says:

Sn again!

7. Jácob says:

Grr
    what a retarded womans family
    They should actually try to sort out the jesus snake church rather than lashing out at the hospital

8. Jácob says:

Oh, and there was an x-files episode with the snake church thing. Twas rather a good episode, this woman gave birth to snakes…and this man had a giant one living inside him that he fed mice that somehow gave him the power to control snakes. And he made them all attack some guy in a prison sell who’d annoyed him.
    good times