21993 Views

Scalzi’s Creation Museum report

Published November 21st, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

cm2.jpg

Author and blogger John Scalzi has posted an amusing report of his visit to the Creation Museum.

Some time ago he said that he’d visit the museum, which was built near his home, on the condition that his readers donated $250, with the added incentive that any extra money would be given to Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. His readers came through and donated over $5000.

So he went, took a bunch of pictures, and posted a very thorough report.

An excerpt:

Here’s how to understand the Creation Museum:

Imagine, if you will, a load of horseshit. And we’re not talking just your average load of horseshit; no, we’re talking colossal load of horsehit. An epic load of horseshit. The kind of load of horseshit that has accreted over decades and has developed its own sort of ecosystem, from the flyblown chunks at the perimeter, down into the heated and decomposing center, generating explosive levels of methane as bacteria feast merrily on vintage, liquified crap. This is a Herculean load of horseshit, friends, the likes of which has not been seen since the days of Augeas.

You can read his entire report here.

331 Responses to “Scalzi’s Creation Museum report”

1. Lee says:

I have no words. A longtime advocate for thought and reason, I’ve never bought into religion or creationism, and just last month got turned on to Pastafarianism. I’ve been having a great time explaining it to all of my friends, and I think there may even be a couple of converts on the way.

This is one of the most shocking things I’ve ever seen. I cannot believe that there are people that actually believe in this. Dinosaurs coexisting with man? What kills me is that they base this on evidence found in fossils… fossils that are millions of years old. CLEARLY millions of years old. Carbon dating and all that jazz…

Wow.

2. Jennyanydots says:

Turns out there’s a New Zealand version too! http://www.creation-museum.org.nz/index.htm
    But on the plus side, I know understand that dinosaurs could be described as ‘cute’ (photo gallery A)

3. Jennyanydots says:

By the way – it’s housed in a former psychiatric hospital too!

4. rmw says:

@Jennyanydots–In NZ too? Here I thought this whole craze was uniquely American. The fact that it’s NZ scares me. As embarassing as the ID fundies are to the US, at least if it was just here, they would be contained.

5. Pluto says:

@Jennyanydots “By the way – it’s housed in a former psychiatric hospital too!”
    Are you sure it’s “former” and that they just didn’t tell them they are inmates they are still locked up?

6. Jennyanydots says:

@ Pluto – or maybe they’re waiting until they’ve got an exceptionally high number of visitors enticed in and then they’ll lock the doors behind them all.

7. neal says:

The whole thing is very near Cininnati, Ohio, which doe not suprise me. Cincinnati is the most reactionary and right wing city in the US. All by itself, it twice delivered Oho, and therefore the US presidency to the Lying ass, war moungering. retard in chief we have running the show in Washington.
    If you believe waterboarding is a no brainer, Bush’s pressure on Iran in 2005, 2006 and 2007 caused them to covertly abandon their nuclear weapons program in 2003, and Intelligent design ought to have equal time with the other “scientific” theories on human origins, you would fit right in as a citizen of the Queen city.

8. PirateHooker says:

best review of creation i’ve ever read