Polk County to include Intelligent Design

Published November 30th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

polknew.jpg

The Ledger reports that the majority of Polk County, Florida, School Board members support teaching Intelligent Design in addition to evolution in public schools.

It’s unclear if they’re prepared to change the definition of science. Some people are concerned that a supernatural theory will not mesh with the study of the natural world.

Board member Kay Fields said last week she wants intelligent design, which is promoted by some Christian groups, taught in science classes in addition to evolution.

“If it ever comes to the board for a vote, I will vote against the teaching of evolution as part of the science curriculum,” Lofton said. “If (evolution) is taught, I would want to balance it with the fact that we may live in a universe created by a supreme being as well.”

The board’s majority opinion is at odds with many in Florida’s scientific community who strongly support the new, more rigorous science standards, and say intelligent design lacks scientific credibility.

Perhaps Florida’s scientific community has not realized the type of genius arguments they’re up against:

“My tendency would be to have both sides shared with students since neither side can be proven,” [School Board Member] Tim Harris said.

“I don’t have a conflict with intelligent design versus evolution,” [School Board Member] Sellers said. “The two go together.”

“It crosses the line with people who are Christians,” [School Board Member] Lofton said. “Evolution is offensive to a lot of people.”

Pastafarians are concerned that the Polk County School Board is endorsing Intelligent Design, but ignoring our theory, even though it is widely endorsed by the scientific community.

I will wager that the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster can produce more academic endorsements for our theory than Intelligent Design proponents can for theirs.

My guess is that the Polk County School Board is just unaware of Pastafarianism. As a public service, I propose that we contact them, and let them know that there are other supernatural theories just as valid as Intelligent Design, primarily ours.

Contact info:

Those in favor of Intelligent Design:

Kay Fields (District 5)
Kay.Fields@polk-fl.net
863-802-5483

Tim Harris (District 7)
Tim.Harris@polk-fl.net
863-808-0005

Margaret Lofton (District 6, Chairman)
Margaret.Lofton@polk-fl.net
863-294-9076

Hazel Sellers (District 3)
Hazel.Sellers@polk-fl.net
863-533-7714

Lori Cunningham (District 2, Vice-Chairman) – undecided
Lori.Cunningham@polk-fl.net
863-512-1656

Those not in favor of Intelligent Design:

Frank O’Reilly (District 1)
Frank.Oreilly@polk-fl.net
863-647-1390

Brenda Reddout (District 4)
Brenda.Reddout@polk-fl.net
863-324-0127

You can use this link to email all 7 School board members.

Please be respectful – remember we are not criticizing their beliefs, merely pointing out that there is another, just as legitimate, theory that should be included into the curriculum. Please leave a comment and tell us about your conversations with the School Board. Thank you!

The Ledger article can be found here.

*update* 12/11/07 – Their local newspaper published a story about our campaign here.

216 Responses to “Polk County to include Intelligent Design”

1 2 3 27
  1. Wench.Nikkiee says:

Makes me I feel like I’m on a merry-go-round that just won’t stop. Will be having nightmares soon!

2. Wench.Nikkiee says:

“I will wager that the Church of FSM can produce more academic endorsements for our theory than Intelligent Design proponents can for theirs.”
    I for one wouldn’t accept that bet bobby (:))

3. rmw says:

Why is that there are things that can’t be taught because they might be “offensive” to “some people”? I’m sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. The First Amendment in the US has evolved to not only keep the state out of the church(es), but to keep the church(es) out of the state as well. This is just beyond belief…and I’m sorry Ms. Sellers, but evolution and ID do not go together. If you would like to see ID taught in schools, then perhaps you and the rest of the Polk County School Board should consider instituting a religion/philosphy class for students. But keep ID out of the science classroom!! (I have strong feelings on this, as I had a science teacher in high school, who, though a very nice woman, felt it was necessary to take it upon herself to teach us why evolution is wrong.)

4. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

I’m not too worried about this one. If they decided to mandate ID in curricula the Dover verdict would serve as a fresh and very strong precedent. However, it is a bit depressing that, despite the Dover verdict, christians won’t learn. What will it take for these lunatics to wise up?

5. Cap'n Jimmy says:

Awesome, now the zealots show up near where I leave. I think I’m going to have to bring them some pamplets (dressed in pirate regalia of course) about the FSM the next time I decide to head towards Orlando/St. Cloud.

6. rmw says:

@DPG–I do agree the Dover case is some pretty strong ammo against teaching ID in the science classroom. And this is a possible change in the *state* law, not just the school district itself. Like the article said, if they don’t like this possible change in more rigorous science curriculum, they’ll have to fight it in court. Still, it’s aggravating that there are still so many people who feel the desire to mix science and religion.

7. Anonymous says:

“Evolution is offensive to a lot of people.”
    Then let’s stop teaching the Holocaust in history. It’s uncomfortable and offensive to some people. While we’re at it, let’s stop teaching in general. We might expose people accidentally to topics they find offensive. Let’s drop education and learning and go back to hunting and gathering.

8. Fenrisulfer says:

I still see no one has confonted these board members yet, just mabye, if we all tell them about the FSM, they might just split the class into 3 sections. ID, FSM and logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.

1 2 3 27