NOVA: Intelligent Design on Trial

Published November 18th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

nova1.jpg

NOVA’s most recent program is about the Intelligent Design debate over the last few years. They’ve put together an excellent companion website, and as of November 16th, you can watch the entire program online – I highly recommend it. NOVA always does a fantastic job on their programs and this is no exception.

My one criticism is that they neglected to mention the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s role in the Intelligent Design vs Science debate.

153 Responses to “NOVA: Intelligent Design on Trial”

1. Fun Doh Mentalist says:

O.K….O.K… Great new religion! How do I become a minister?
    How much? Are there matchbook applications available? How soon
    can I make the big bucks converting, getting followers? Are multiple
    wives allowed? O.K. O.K. how about dewy-eyed followers? Not too old;
    not too smart. Has anyone claimed the Hamptons? How do I get in touch with Paris, Brit, and Lindsey?

Pass the pasta…I’m on board! Just need the book
    and the the emblem for the car.

2. Truth Fairy says:

From the Panda’s Thumb
    “sex, lies and a math mistake”
    “First, the sex. I’ll admit right up front that this post has nothing to do with sex, except for the general nature of what the ID movement is trying to do to public science education in this country.
    Before moving on to lies, let’s take care of the math mistake first.
    Last week, in response to the splendid PBS/NOVA production on the Dover trial (Judgment Day: ID on Trial”), the Discovery Institute hacked out a booklet for teachers, called “The Theory of Intelligent Design: A briefing packet for educators, to help teachers understand the debate between Darwinian evolution and intelligent design…..”.”
    pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/11/sex-lies-and-a.html
    (add http://)

3. Truth Fairy says:

*Passes some pasta and a tankard of rum to Fun Doh Mentalist*
    RAmen

4. neal says:

I live in Nashville and I remember a few years back, the owners of a local coffeehouse cooked a bun and its topography bore an uncanny resemblance to either Mother Teresa or the Blessed Mother and Child (I forget which). They put it on exhibit in their pastry case and did land office business.

Anyway one night the owner’s dog broke into the case and scarfed thre thing down. Naturally, they induced vomiting in the mutt, but somehow their sacred pastry was never the same.

5. Peter Popoff says:

I won’t be surprised if someday soon ID scientists find a big shark and cut it open, and there inside is a whole person. Then they cut the person open, and in him is a little baby shark. And in the baby shark there isn’t a person, because it would be too small.
    But there’s a little doll or something,
    like a Johnny Combat little toy guy… something like that, soon.

6. El Peatieablo says:

I’m a fan of this program. NOVA seriously rocks.
    @Peter Popoff
    Is it just me or have you been a bit fond of Jack Handey Quotes recently?

7. More DI dishonesty says:

Discovery Institute Motto: Lying and stealing is alright if it’s done in the promotion of creationism.

Following on from the editing abuse of Attenborough’s programs in the Netherlands, now the DI steals and edits an animation from Harvard.

DI Fellows– EXPELLED for plagiarism

“Maybe they think it is ‘okay’ to use it anyway, because they stripped off Harvard/XVIVOs copyright and credits.
    Maybe they think it is ‘okay’ because they gave the animation a new title (‘Inner life of a cell’ became ‘The cell as an automated city’) and an extraordinarily unprofessional new narration (alternate alternate title– ‘ Big Gay Al takes a tour of a cell!’). Harvard/XVIVOs narration, all of the science, is whisked away and replaced with a ‘surrealistic lilliputian realm’– ‘robots’, ‘manufacturing’, ‘circuitry’, ‘nano moters’, ‘UPS labels’. Maybe they think it is ‘okay’ because they turned all of Harvards science into ‘MAGIC!’
    ..”