fsm crossing

Published November 29th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Spotted by Nick in Australia:

fsm_crossing.jpg

74 Responses to “fsm crossing”

1. JC says:

Did they get by with it?

2. Ham says:

Aww Man. I live in Australia, and I’ve never seen a road sign that awesome before. I’m sick of just seeing signs for Kangaroo and Wombat and Platypus crossings!

3. Mr. Bubba says:

This discussion is colored by years of historical baggage. Christians have been trying (and succeeding in many cases) to impose their religious dogma via the public school system in the U.S. “Intelligent Design” is just another attempt to use public institutions as a means to that end. It’s not that people who give credence to proven science are bitter about these attempts but that they see them for what they are. Have you ever been forced to pray or recite passages from the Bible against your will? As an adult the answer is probably “no”. But as a fifth grader, as in my case, this in fact happened. I was even told by the teacher that the Supreme Court (of which I knew nothing) had just made it illegal to pray in school but she (the teacher) was going to do it anyway. She told us that she would pick a student at random to recite the 23rd psalm from memory each morning and that we had better know it by heart. To this day I know the 23rd psalm. Later I realized that she called on the same students all the time and figured out that this was to reduce the risk of parent complaints due to the fact that she knew that those kids’ parents wouldn’t complain. It is this kind of abuse of the public school system that I have problems with. Fine! Take your kids to church but don’t force my kids to be exposed to institutionalized religious indoctrination that has been funded by my tax dollars! I’m old enough to remember what it was like before school organized school prayer was banned from public schools. Don’t go there again!

4. Wench Sophie says:

why isn’t there a FSM Crossing sign in every town with a Pastafarian in it in the world? This needs to become wide-spread!

5. Tina says:

I am a (public) High School graduate, and I was taught Intelligent Design in my Sophomore biology class. I always thought that Intelligent Design had nothing to with science. Because of the FSM my life has improved in many ways. Yay! All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    RAmen.

6. Happy Heretic says:

Congratulations Tina! Hooray for knowledge!

7. rmw says:

@Tina–I had a geology teacher who was a YEC and believed in ID. She made it her mission to explain why evolution was wrong. She was a very nice lady, and besides the young earth/creationism views, a good teacher. I wouldn’t have cared what her religious views were, but I feel it was wrong of her to try and teach them to the class in that manner. I can see a science teacher saying, “The theory of evolution is the one best supported by the observable evidence. There are other views out there, including ID, UD, and FSM, though these are just a few. If you would like, I can give you some websites, books, etc. if you are interested. But these views will not be discussed in detail, nor will they be on the test.” I have no problem with a teacher addressing these different views in this or a similar manner, what I have a problem with are those who believe that they need to and MUST be taught.

8. ashley says:

Evolution is supposed to be part of the curricula where I live but it turns out that the teachers just skip it anyway. I live in a VERY Christian town, I just moved here about a year ago from Philadelphia(big difference). So, anyway, I found this out the other day and was pretty pissed. I’m making sure that I move before my son goes to school. I’m shocked that they don’t teach ID here, I’m sure they will soon.