For years, I have been forced to call myself a Taoist

Published November 26th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

For years, I have been forced to call myself a Taoist, noting that the rabid believers of God (also known as Allah) stare down my back everywhere I go, demanding that I follow one of their churches. I remember a particular fellow: Anwell, who demanded that I join the Christian faith.

But being an Atheist for years, I could not accept the notion of this perfect deity who demands that we believe in him or go to some horrible afterlife. I remained a steadfast Atheist, and pitied the Christians for their insanity.

In high school, which was not long ago, I overheard one of my classmates speaking of an ‘invisible pink unicorn,’ and a larger group scoffing at the idea of a ‘flying spaghetti monster.’

I had heard that these were the hopes for people like me who wanted to counter those blasted Christians, but I had no idea how to find them.

Then I overheard my roommate, who is of the Jewish faith, listening to a song… A song depicting the fight between these two deities on Youtube.

And I realized that it wasn’t a mere talk of legend. I realized that such a movement was truly going on!

Filled with excitement, I scampered to the computer and did some research. Soon, I learned of Pastafarianism, and I must say that I applaud your work here. I am considering joining the Pastafarian faith, and, out of curiosity, I must ask you: Are you aware of how many Pastafarians have actually joined the faith (roughly, of course), or is this movement still fairly unknown?

RAmen

With deep respect,
Zhang

172 Responses to “For years, I have been forced to call myself a Taoist”

1. Pluto says:

@meichan- This is our site. People come here to discuss the possibilitys. What you’ve failed to note is that the hatefull religious types come here to try and ridicla us and threaten us with hell fire. So we do what any rational person would do and point out the massive holes in their arguments. We don’t spit on their belifes, they come here to do that to us. Apparently when we spit back it’s better than them.
    They spit in the face of reason! They spit in the face of humanity! They are species traitors!
    As I’m very fond of saying: If you want to have an opinion be prepared to back it up, if not you shouldn’t be allowed to have one.
    “He didn’t make the Nazis do it, he certainly didn’t make Mao Tsetung do it…” No but god was used by these monsters to justify what they did.
    “…but the idea of a god gives comfort to millions, maybe billions of unfortunate people out there who may, but more likely do not, have facebook accounts.”
    You don’t need a PC to see flaws in logic. Religion revels in it. This site was founded as a response to teaching Intelligent Design in science classes! Not Religious Education or a church, but being touted about as science when it’s not. See if this became the norm we would lose all we have learnt! The fact that billions whish to believe that which as been proven a lie, don’t make it the truth.
    I hope I helped you understand.

2. Noodly Nation says:

@paradox Dec 6th, 2007 at 6:55 am
    “meichan the whole point of FSM is that there is absolutley no evidence, proof or reason to believe in a god whatsoever”
    The point of CoFSM is to point out the absurdity of teaching religion as science in schools!

3. noerart says:

@meichan: “By that mode of thinking then, people must be able to give a cogent and convincing argument for what they believe…That argument then subject to a vote? Reviewed by yourself only? Who chooses the committee? FSM itself? the moderator of this blog?”
    A vote? Please…
    Keep in mind that I am/was speaking for myself only. And the only one responsible for *my* opinion is me.
    Now…at the risk of repeating myself: All I want to see is that people have put some thought into the choice of what they believe – rather than just spouting the “company line”…
    That’s all I ask, show me YOUR reason for believing, not the reason someone else gave you, and I’ll respect that – whether I like the reason or not. Of course if the latter is the case, or if I just generally disagree, I’ll be more than ready to discuss it with the person in question.

4. VegetarianCannible says:

although I have innvoked the name of His Noodleyness on many occasions, I am new to this mecca of a website. I have noticed that most of the depictions of the FSM have two meatballs within. this leads me to wonder, Can Vegetarians be Pastafarians?! I am a vegetarian, so I don’t support meatballs. How then can you expect me to support the the visage of the one who created all as a spaghetti WITH MEATBALLS monster?!!!!

5. VegetarianCannible says:

On another note, in an episode of A Pup Named Scooby-doo there was a man eating spaghetti monster, but he lacked the ability to fly. Unlike the original Scooby show, this monster was not a man in a suit, but real! I humbly ask the prophet if this monster was a relation, or representation of the Flying version that we know so well?

6. VegetarianCannible says:

did Marynara give birth to the FSM’s son? or was it the Maridonna

7. rmw says:

@paradox–actually, the main point of FSMism is to demonstrate the illogic of teaching ID in science classes when it does meet the definition of “science.” The problem doesn’t lie so much in religion, but in dogma and fundamentalism, and in the case of Christianity, literal interpretation of the Bible. (Note: other religions and their fundamentalists have this same problem.)

8. Red DutchPasta Wench says:

VegetarianCannible
    Dec 7th, 2007 at 3:42 am
    Of course they can! Just take something else: tofu or something instead of meat. He is whatever you want Him to be :)