aristotle on the phony religiocity of tyrants

Published November 24th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

aristotle.jpg

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider God-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, wrongly believing that he has the Gods on his side.

–Aristotle, Politica bk v (ca. 340 BCE)

86 Responses to “aristotle on the phony religiocity of tyrants”

1. PacificPam says:

@Pluto – What do you mean by Jack and Karen Show? hahahahahahahahaha That show was amazing.
    I don’t even want to talk about Britney…I feel that my IQ might drop a few points

2. Pluto (Not sorry at all!) says:

@PacificPam- They where to only real reason to watch that show. Most of the people I’ve talked to about it agree.
    Gimme Gimme Gimme was the English show that came years before.
    Lynda and Tom are like Jack and Karen, which is probably why those two character are so popular over here, I don’t know about else where.

3. pieces o'nine says:

@Pluto (Not sorry at all!)
    [@Jennyanydots
    “Just picturing from your message some poor bewildered guy thrown, slightly stickily, to the evangelists.”]
    Well if it was Ted Haggard, I’m sure he would smoke some meth in a crack pipe and tuck in!
    Pluto, were you aware of the Rev. Ted’s denomination?
    He is a Crystal Meth-odist.
    [fx/rimshot]
    (BTW: the fx was a joke, too…)

4. PacificPam says:

@Pluto – I have to agree with you to some point…I don’t know about Jack…too gay for my taste…but Karen was genious…Because of her I love Martinis…
    Because of Carry (Sarah Jessica Parker) I love Cosmopolitans…girly form of martinins…
    I like beer because of……………..I don’t know..cuz it goood!

5. Pluto (Not sorry at all!) says:

@pieces o’nine – boooo!

6. PacificPam says:

Whaever happened to the Hat Mail campaign?

7. rmw says:

@pieces o’ nine–*groan* That ranks as one of the worst (best) puns I’ve heard.
    @PacificPam–Hate mail campaign?

8. PacificPam says:

I don’t know rmw, when I first came to the site they were talking about a Hat Mail Campaingn ore something like that…Maybe one of the oldes to the site might know….