aristotle on the phony religiocity of tyrants

Published November 24th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

aristotle.jpg

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider God-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, wrongly believing that he has the Gods on his side.

–Aristotle, Politica bk v (ca. 340 BCE)

86 Responses to “aristotle on the phony religiocity of tyrants”

1. pieces o'nine says:

@Pluto and rmw:
    Glad you liked that.
    I think it would make a great bumper sticker, except I live too close to the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, and I don’t want my car vandalized!

• Samantha says:

Hi @pieces o’nine — I’m a reporter in COS hoping to do a story with some Pastafarians. Could you contact me? sbaranowski@kxrm.com

2. rmw says:

@pieces o’ nine–you live in COS!!!! So do I. That makes me happy, knowing that there are some Pastafarians balancing out the “funnymentalcases” (as the venerable Old Grouch calls them).

• Samantha says:

Hi @rmw — I’m a reporter in COS hoping to do a story with some Pastafarians. Just replied to @pieces o’nine as well… Could you contact me? sbaranowski@kxrm.com

3. Pluto (Not sorry at all!) says:

@pieces o’nine- “…I live too close to the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, and I don’t want my car vandalized!”
    Are you suggesting that those good natured loving Christians would commit an act of hatefully violence?

4. pieces o'nine says:

@ rmw
    Not actually *in* CoSprings, just *too close* to it…
    But I was happy to find other Pastafarians posting here from this red state.
    @ Pluto
    Suggest, no; certainly not, sir!
    Hint, maybe. Imply, infer, even. Perhaps I might go so far as to insinuate. But suggest, never!
    If any of you are stumped on what to get that special fundy in your life this Yule, check out http://www.wearefishermen.com/splash.html. Personally, I can’t decide between “Ghost Rider JC” and “Bend It Like Bethlehem” JC.

5. rmw says:

@pieces o’ nine–technically, I don’t live *in* COS either. 15 minutes south more like. But still, any Pastafarian helps. And honestly, CO is going more “purple” than “red.” We do have democrats in office. It’s just COS and El Paso county (where Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas are at, for those of you who might actually give a damn) are red, red, red, red, red, red. Remember: God=Good, Democrats=Bad/Satan. (If it weren’t for the mountains and reasonable driving distance for skiing, all hope would be lost for Colorado Springs.)

6. PacificPam says:

@pieces o’ nine – Naaaah, I don’t think the fundies are prone to violence….*laughing way too badly*

7. Jennyanydots says:

@ rmw – more suitable presents here – http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7116728.stm

8. rmw says: