Pastafarianism vs. Christianity

Published October 14th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I received this email from Pastafarian Chelsea:

The following is direct quote by Mark Coppenger, a pastor who teaches at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, courtesy of the article by Dan Vergano in USA Today, Spaghetti Monster is noodling around with faith.

“I’m happy to say I think FSM hurts the evolutionists’ program since, by mocking the Christian tradition … it reinforces the correct impression that there is genuine contempt for biblical faith in that camp. Besides, the parody is lame, and there are few things more encouraging than cheap shots from one’s opponents.”

I’m sorry if Christians find the belief that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe “lame,” but –correct me if I’m wrong- Christians believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple of discernment from a magical tree. And they think the idea that a decrease in pirates caused global warming is ridiculous?

The best lesson learned in life is to challenge the limitations of our mental capacities. If knowledge is a sin, let us burn in hell for eternity with the satisfaction that we aren’t superstitous, ignorant bigots.

I think Chelsea makes a good point. Also, I think that Pastafarianism has grown much larger than a response to the ID-evolution debate.

64 Responses to “Pastafarianism vs. Christianity”

1. BBC!! says:

haha…tisk tisk..
    and now for something completely different. and absolutely unrelated.
    “we apologize for the inconvenience”
    Gods last message to His Creation….

2. Snideology says:

Verily! Aptly put. Shockingly strange beliefs are always conventional once dogmatic

3. Wench Nikkiee says:

@Corey Oct 31st, 2007 at 6:00 pm
    “And by the way, zombies are undead, and generally diseased, Jesus in 100% alive.”
    Did mean “is 100% alive”? Where is he?

4. Meatwadfush says:

Mkay, so I’m a Christian, but I do believe that Pastafarianism has a point in that if someone’s going to teach something in a school, then that person should be well steeped in it. And to me the Intelligent Design theory has no place in school.
    after all, the most important things in life are taught outside the walls of school, eh? haha, jk. I have no beef with you guys, but I do ask that more studying is done before rash generalizations are made, on both Pastafarians and Christians side of the spectrum. Amen and RAmen

5. klambake says:

From the article:

“Florida State University science philosopher Michael Ruse, a critic of creationism, doubts that parodies change anyone’s mind about evolution. “However, sometimes parodies outlast the originals,” he adds, pointing to the classic Alice in Wonderland, in many ways a poke at math and logic.”

I hope this is just badly written or badly quoted, and Mr. Ruse doesn’t actually think Alice in Wonderland pokes fun at math and logic. I hope he really knows it pokes fun at monarchy, tyranny, and illogic.

“The FSM also has brought Henderson death threats, …’I'm not surprised,” says Arizona State’s Ghavari, pointing to the furor over Danish cartoons that sparked lethal riots in the Muslim world this year. “People have a strong reaction when you mock their beliefs.’”

So, is Ghavari saying death threats are understandable? Again, hopefully just badly summarized.

The sour grapes from Robert Crowther because ID isn’t getting the same press coverage as FSM are particularly delectable, and go well with a pasta dish.

6. wedding garter says:

Man I definetly adore your write-up and it is so commendable hence I am going to bookmark it. I Have to say the Wonderful research this article has is greatly remarkable !! Who does that additional research these days? Hats off to You . Just another tip to you is that you shouldintroduce any Translator Application for your Global Readers .

7. Billy says:

Why should any creation, whether it be a God, Spaghetti Monster, or particles, be taught before the college level anyways? Students have much more important sciences to be learning at that level of education anyways. If they would like to learn about origins of life then they could go on to the college level, or just do research for themselves if they decide they would not want to go to the college level.

• Keith says:

If you are talking of religion (eg. a god, a spaghetti monster, creation etc) then it should not be taught in school at any stage. That should be reserved for the church, the home, or the looney who stands on a soap box in Hyde Park, Rundle Mall or its equivalent. If you are talking about the basics of evolution or the formation of stars and planets it simply fits in with a general knowledge of science and puts us and our little ball of dirt into perspective. Good science need not be science that helps kids grow up to be engineers or physicists.

8. Untamed01 says:

You said to correct you if you were wrong, and that I shall do. No true Christian believes that they will live forever. Jesus Christ, or the “Jewish zombie” as referred to him by, which by the way is down right disrespectful and insulting of you, he didn’t say you would live forever, he said you would have eternal life. How about you buy yourself a Bible and start reading it from the beginning, then you will understand…instead of criticizing

• Rev. Wulff says:

Sorry, I have dealt with several x-tians who believed that if the end of days were to happen now, they would never die. And the fact that you start your argument from a “No True Scotsman” perspective shows the limits of your ability to argue.

• Atsap Revol says:

Untamed01, from my dictionary the first meaning of the word eternity is: NEVER ENDING, LASTING FOREVER. If Jesus used the term ETERNAL LIFE, how does that not agree with living forever?

You are another know-it-all Christian who believes he or she is correct in all Biblical matters. Many on this site once called themselves Christians and studied the Bible in detail. As is so often the case, that study led to leaving the Christian religion. Perhaps you should take your own advice and read the Bible from the beginning. If you do, you will find many blatant contradictions and downright silly statements.

• Atsap Revol says:

Furthermore, Untamed01, if you were a real bible scholar, you would be familiar with John 6:15, “Whoever eats this bread will LIVE FOREVER. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” This was said by your mythical Jesus, according to John.