Pastafarianism vs. Christianity

Published October 14th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I received this email from Pastafarian Chelsea:

The following is direct quote by Mark Coppenger, a pastor who teaches at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, courtesy of the article by Dan Vergano in USA Today, Spaghetti Monster is noodling around with faith.

“I’m happy to say I think FSM hurts the evolutionists’ program since, by mocking the Christian tradition … it reinforces the correct impression that there is genuine contempt for biblical faith in that camp. Besides, the parody is lame, and there are few things more encouraging than cheap shots from one’s opponents.”

The best lesson learned in life is to challenge the limitations of our mental capacities. If knowledge is a sin, let us burn in hell for eternity with the satisfaction that we aren’t superstitous, ignorant bigots.

I think Chelsea makes a good point. Also, I think that Pastafarianism has grown much larger than a response to the ID-evolution debate.

64 Responses to “Pastafarianism vs. Christianity”

1. Noodly Touched Luk says:

“I’m sorry if Christians find the belief that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe “lame,” but –correct me if I’m wrong- Christians believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple of discernment from a magical tree. And they think the idea that a decrease in pirates caused global warming is ridiculous?”

This is genius!!!!

Luk

2. Wench Cyka says:

Hey, all the xians have is a book that has been more scribbled-in than a thrice-used beer-soaked community college textbook. We have a shiny new book, straight from the only prophet (not 4 guys who muscled out the other 8 and totally ditched the only chick too), but we got a graph and a drawing too! Plus, they have Ten Commandments, supposedly carved in stone, um, where are those?? While we just have the 8 I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts, much more laid back, and the FSM does not have his hand out asking for 10%, although I did read something the other day about a line or two in some other book. Something about it being perfectly reasonable for some guy to murder his son for god, so what’s 10%? I certainly dont want to read those kinds of bedtime stories to my kids!

3. Iron Bess says:

Hey Chelsea, love the xian mythology in it’s concentrated form. Somehow it makes you wonder how anyone can call another religion wrong when their’s is so obviously beyond crazy. At least it has a ‘magical tree’, although I’m sure the Noodly One won’t care who takes credit for trees, we all know that he created the tree along with the mountain and midget.
    As well, now that I think about it, the snake is a lot like a long spaghetti…could that be another sign of the FSM playing with our heads?

4. The Nope says:

Technically, this IS a cheap parody. The only thing we pay for are the t-shirts,
    And they’re reasonably priced….

5. Daniel says:

wow, I went from serious atheist/agnostic to atheist/agnostic/Pastafarian because of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. kudos.

6. Bethany says:

I really find this whole discussion to be rather hilarious…

Let me explain, I’m a xian. Indeed, I am a grad student of theology. Did Bible College… the whole bit. And I also absolutely love CoFSM. I promoted it around the College, and even hosted a pirate day there (though most people didn’t know ALL they were celebrating…). I am in total sympathy with the fact that ID does not belong in science class. I love the “parody”, and the satire is killer.

What is hilarious? That Xians say ridiculous, dumb things about other people’s beliefs (or lack thereof), and feel all superior and cool for that, and yet, what is the difference here? It’s like everyone gets a kick out of telling everyone else that they are stupid. Nice. Well done Christians. Well done Atheists. May you all eternally enjoy throwing around hate mail and tired rhetoric.

And may the noodly appendage touch you all.

7. JesusWept says:

Wench Cyka

Just a point of clarification about Australia.

Unfortunately Oz has its fair share of religious freaks. Australian’s call them ‘Wowsers’. Traditionally there has been a cultural battle between the ‘Larrikin’ – the mythical rough and ready, hard drinking, anti-authority types that the rest of the world generally associate with Australia – and the very Conservative ‘Wowser’. In fact, historically, the Wowser has generally had the upper hand. These are, of course, generalisations, and the edges are increasingly blurred. But the last thing Austrlia needs is more God botherers.

8. Wench Cyka says:

@ JW
    Well, we could send them in a ship, and they’ve done these studies about those really huge effin’ waves that were supposed to be sailor BS, but now they’re finding occur quite frequently… maybe we could just have them all call it a prayer retreat to get “closer to God.” Those waves would certainly fit their description of an act of God… And there is one sure way to get closer to the big guy… Maybe the plan is a little too practical though. Or, we could Trade religious nuts, have both boats captained by our biggest televangelists, give them pre-plotted courses directly in line with each other… Maybe they’ll even find an island and happily spend their time trying to convert all the monkeys!