Pastafarianism vs. Christianity

Published October 14th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I received this email from Pastafarian Chelsea:

The following is direct quote by Mark Coppenger, a pastor who teaches at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, courtesy of the article by Dan Vergano in USA Today, Spaghetti Monster is noodling around with faith.

“I’m happy to say I think FSM hurts the evolutionists’ program since, by mocking the Christian tradition … it reinforces the correct impression that there is genuine contempt for biblical faith in that camp. Besides, the parody is lame, and there are few things more encouraging than cheap shots from one’s opponents.”

I’m sorry if Christians find the belief that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe “lame,” but –correct me if I’m wrong- Christians believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple of discernment from a magical tree. And they think the idea that a decrease in pirates caused global warming is ridiculous?

The best lesson learned in life is to challenge the limitations of our mental capacities. If knowledge is a sin, let us burn in hell for eternity with the satisfaction that we aren’t superstitous, ignorant bigots.

I think Chelsea makes a good point. Also, I think that Pastafarianism has grown much larger than a response to the ID-evolution debate.

64 Responses to “Pastafarianism vs. Christianity”

1. ihatemyspace says:

@lilwench
    Dane Cook is awesome. I noticed your reference and threw in my own. XD

2. lilwench says:

I’ve had a mp3 of that skit on my computer for awhile, its hilarious :)

3. buckets says:

I am a new convert to FSM and find it to be a welcome respite from the Evangelical machine that is truly taking over. If you haven’t seen it, take the time and watch the CNN Special: “God’s Warriors”. They do a program and Christianity. It’s easy to forget how vocal and powerful our nation’s unstable religious right have become. We have become the “Immoral Minority” if you will. We are obligated to ensure that our rights are not trampled and our nation is not led by a bunch a wack-a-doos. The reason this thing (FSM) is so popular is that people are feeling the need to express their dissatisfaction with the Christian right and their religious propaganda being disseminated via our own government.

4. Wench Cyka says:

I wanna try some Christ chex! Just because I know, if I ate it, somewhere a priest, or at least some insane zealot, would probably be having an epileptic seizure with every bite I took, you know, with my pentacle hitting the rim of the bowl and all…

5. Commodore Angryy says:

So, our parody religion is apparantly a ‘cheap’ attack? i believe this is one of the best attacks in history! Not to mention, have christians really not ever had a ‘cheap’ attack? have a look at the hatemail, there’s loads of them. then again, i doubt very much that xians look at previous hatemails before sending on their own pitiful attempts to end our movement.

6. Pastafarian Mitch says:

“First Post! Also I think ur right, we don’t have any contempt for the bible, merely pointing out it’s flaws, also parody isn’t lame.”

I second that notion. Also, I must say that whoever says parody isn’t lame shall feel His noodly wrath. and mine too.

7. Wench Cyka says:

Christians don’t go for cheap attacks Angryy! They go for all-out bloody ones! They just like to try to hide them under the rug. You know, pretend it’s all just ancient history. The Crusades, The Inquisitions, the entire span of the Dark Ages that they ruled with bloody iron fists, oh and lets not forget my favorite! the Salem Witch Trials! Because the Pilgrims came here why?? To escape from “Religious Persecution!” I just learned an interesting fun little factiod. It seems that our good friends the Aussies don’t generally celebrate Halloween, which comes straight out of Celtic Pagan religious rituals as their New Year’s celebration. Now, mainly and I am generalizing here, so give me a little leeway, America got the religious zealot freaktards that nobody ealse wanted, and Australia was the dumping ground for all the convicts. Personally, I think we Americans got shafted on that deal. Can we trade you a few, Australia? You can feel free to tar and feather the loons as soon as they arrive! I just find it funny that these religious zealots who loathed all things pagan are the ones who Brought The Traditions With Them, whereas the Aussies, who didn’t really give a crap, well, didn’t really give a crap and lost Halloween. Sorry Angryy, I’ll have some extra chocolate and think of you! Fundies, please, foam, froth and splutter away! If you could read this long, I know this must have hurt.

8. Nephelos says:

This sort of thing is reminiscent of that part of ‘The God Delusion’ where Dawkins remarks on what an objective anthropologist, having known nothing previously about Christianity and its many myths and legends, would say if they were to hear about the ‘cosmic jewish zombie’ and a ‘rib-woman’, upon Dawkins hearing in his younger days a Christian colleague talking about the nonsensity the ‘ridiculous’ indigenous African beliefs.

Witch doctors and magical darts I can handle, but being saved from burning for all eternity by eating undead flesh? Come on.