Pastafarianism vs. Christianity

Published October 14th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I received this email from Pastafarian Chelsea:

The following is direct quote by Mark Coppenger, a pastor who teaches at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, courtesy of the article by Dan Vergano in USA Today, Spaghetti Monster is noodling around with faith.

“I’m happy to say I think FSM hurts the evolutionists’ program since, by mocking the Christian tradition … it reinforces the correct impression that there is genuine contempt for biblical faith in that camp. Besides, the parody is lame, and there are few things more encouraging than cheap shots from one’s opponents.”

I’m sorry if Christians find the belief that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe “lame,” but –correct me if I’m wrong- Christians believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple of discernment from a magical tree. And they think the idea that a decrease in pirates caused global warming is ridiculous?

The best lesson learned in life is to challenge the limitations of our mental capacities. If knowledge is a sin, let us burn in hell for eternity with the satisfaction that we aren’t superstitous, ignorant bigots.

I think Chelsea makes a good point. Also, I think that Pastafarianism has grown much larger than a response to the ID-evolution debate.

64 Responses to “Pastafarianism vs. Christianity”

1. Alchemist says:

“Also, I think that Pastafarianism has grown much larger than a response to the ID-evolution debate.”
    Yeah – I’d agree with that. In the year I’ve been posting here we’ve discussed everything from the intelligent eg. the rights and wrongs of Saddam Hussein’s execution, organised religion etc. to the downright stupid eg. GW Bush, Reindeers, Paris Hilton…
    We have become a movement!
    (Albeit one that doesn’t get out of bed until after 3pm if it can get away with it!)

2. Aristotle says:

“If knowledge is a sin, let us burn in hell for eternity with the satisfaction that we aren’t superstitious, ignorant bigots.”
    RAmen to that.

3. Red Dutch Pasta Wench says:

Thorn
    Oct 14th, 2007 at 7:19 am
    I reads this in that article “”It’s too bad that they’ll get attention for this sort of drivel when we have a robust scientific research program that the media doesn’t seem to want to write much about,” Discovery Institute spokesman Robert Crowther said in an e-mail interview.” hahahahahaaa!

Robust?? Scientific?? research?? Neither of these things applies to the drivel of that “discovery” institute. Thorn’s is the only correct response: Hahahahahahahahahaaa!

4. The Dread Pirate Cap'n Bob of the Ruber Duck says:

parody will never be lame, but the word itself makes me laugh. So does the thought that research can be robust. Hmm….. OH well. RAmen

5. A Staunch Pastafarian says:

In response to the news that Senator David Vitter (R-La, fresh off his recent anti-adultery press tour) has obtained $100K of our tax dollars to promote alternative views to “Darwinism” in Louisiana schools, I encourage each of you to visit his website and send him a note like the following:

“Dear Senator Vitter,

I understand that you have successfully obtained $100,000 in federal funds for teaching alternative views to Darwinism in Louisiana schools.

Congratulations! I trust that the presentation of all rational theories of Creation will be supported, including but not limited to those of Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Navajos, Inuits, Hindus, Pastafarians, Wiccans, Subgenii and Southern Baptists.

Please rest assured that those of us who support these and other alternate views of Creation will be watching to insure fair and equal treatment.

Respectfully yours,”

6. Wench Cyka says:

@ A staunch Pastafarian
    I shot that man a good long email letting him know that the CoFSM is eagerly anticipating his check so that we may provide our materials in full glorious detail, because I am certain the good man would not wish to seem as if he had already determined one theory to be above all! Therefore, we would await our portion and provide our data for analysis like every good “scientific” alternative out there!
    RAmen!
    Needless to say, my email inbox is exploding with responses from his office (sarcasm dripping from this sentence.)

7. Wench Cyka says:

PS No, I did not say that I would take the funds, either! I listed the dear ol’ webpage here as the CoFSM HQ :P

8. ۞ says:

The discovery institute has a “robust scientific research program” then why don’t they advertise that rather than the dog crap science they usually come up with?