I’m a Catholic.

Published October 7th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I’m a Catholic.
But before you get ready for hate-mail, wait a minute.

Facts are important.

I just want you to know that not all catholics are … um… crazy.

May you be touched by his noodly appendages,
or god bless you but that’s probably a bit hypocritcal at this point,
Allison

78 Responses to “I’m a Catholic.”

1 2 3 10
  1. Wench Cyka says:

It’s only hypocritical depending on which God you mean, the Catholic one or the wonderful, yummy Flying Spaghetti Monster?
    RAmen!

2. Wench Cyka says:

Ha! 2 golds in one night! I am an official, happy FSM geeky wench!
    Yarrr!

3. Mariner says:

Congratz on your 2 golds tonight.
    Thank you for writing in with your support for our cause. While most of what we see on this site is the crazy fundies, we know that not ALL of those who do not share our religious views are crazy. We all agree that teaching non-science as science is crazy anyways, but if they want to UD (Unintelligent Design) then they should also teach other versions such as ours.
    May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage
    RAmen

4. St John the Blasphemist says:

May FSM bless you too, Allison.

St John the Blasphemist
    Saint of Blessings

5. Beardyoldgit says:

Thanks for your note Allison.
    We’re totally cool with Catholics (or people from any religion) who actually listen and understand “facts are important” as you say.
    We have Catholics as regular contributors to the site, along with, Buddhists, Pagans/Wiccans, Protestants and of course a whole lot of Atheists.
    Many of us may think your beliefs are wrong – and will debate that robustly with you if you like – most of us will only treat you like a crazy if you act like one.
    Why not visit the discussion forums (link top right) can be fun or serious whichever you choose.

RAmen, BoG

6. B☠☠ty says:

Hi Allison – way to go switching part of your brain on – keep going and join us soon :)

7. ۞ says:

I agree with Beardyoldgit up and to a point.
    Your claim that:

Facts are important

Is ultimately impossible to reconcile with your Catholicism which has we know has at best a total disregard for facts and in many cases contempt for them.
    So you’re either being disingenuous or are genuinely misguided.
    We get a lot of xians of all denominations being disingenuous.
    krony is a recent example of an xian telling lies and trying to trick people.
    Read through his posts here to see find a textbook example of a theist feigning reasonableness but all the whle sowing a patchwork of pure nonsense:
    So Allison, are you a Catholic somewhere in the process coming to terms with your religion as a load of nonsense or trying to claim credence for your beliefs by feigning reason?
    There isn’t really a third way if you’re going to have any respect for the importance of facts.

8. Davros the Dalek dude says:

“I’m a Catholic.” Nice one. I’m a pastafarian but I’m sure we can get along.

“But before you get ready for hate-mail, wait a minute.” Why you utter…. oh right… ok.. go on.

“Because really I think you’re brilliant. Not that me thinking you’re brilliant is that high a compliment.” Aw thanks. Your making us blush now. ;)

“Teaching ID in schools as science is completely ridiculous. No religion should be taught in schools.”
    True. Although I don’t think its wrong to teach kids about religion. Like it or not it is a bit part of the world and our history. I think it is important to teach about all religions and philosophies and let kids make there own minds up. Wouldn’t it be great to have Pastafarianism as part of RE lessons!

“I just want you to know that not all catholics are … um… crazy.”
    I know. You seem nice enough.

“But something to consider, they do believe that their religion is true so in their eyes they are merely spreading the truth, not hurting anyone.”
    That’s a good question. The thing that I never understand is that so many Christians act so unlike Christ. Telling people about Jesus I haven’t a problem with. Forcing those beliefs is another matter. Jesus never did that. “Love Thy neighbour” he said, not “Love thy neighbour only if he’s a Christian. If he isn’t tell him he’ll burn in hell, and then have nothing more to do with him” Jesus was fine, its just some of his followers really don’t seem to get when he was on about!

“May you be touched by his noodly appendages,
    or god bless you but that’s probably a bit hypocritcal at this point,
    Allison”
    That’s not hypocritical. I appreciate the sentiment. May you also be blessed.
    Ramen