hatemail copyright issues

Published October 5th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I received this today. I decided to assume an email about hatemail copyright issues implies consent for posting here.

Dear Sir

I am not a writing to you to join your long list of “hate mail” attached to your wall I’m just offering some advise in which i suffer knowledge of in which have been expressed by the website (Including the address of http://www.venganza.org/). Though i do no have any formal expertise this is a area i have studied in the past and would like to bring to your attention.

Creative works are covered under international treaty as copyright which includes but is not exclusive to Email messages, handwritten notes, books, computer programs and web pages are all creative works and they are all protected by copyright. Put basically anything that is intellectual material other then your own DOES NOT belong to you. And therefore can not be copied without expressed permission.

In some circumstances sending an email creates an implied license for personal uses. Thought is would be extremely hard to prove in cases where copyright is attached. Also the uses or publication of names, email address and any other personal information without permission and protection is controled by The Data Protection Act (US:1998,2000 UK:1998,1986). And in this case would leave the publisher and affiliates liable to prosecution.

I do not wish to refefer to any specific violoation but i hope this information is of some use to you. Thank you for your time.

Yours Faithfully
James

77 Responses to “hatemail copyright issues”

1 2 3 10
  1. Red Dutch Pasta Wench says:

Mmmm, what a poorly written letter. And I think that if you send an e-mail to this site, you can fairly assume it has a chance of being posted! It could probably be made formal by simple adding a line like: any mail send to me can be published on this site. Then they will have been warned too!

2. Commodore Angryy says:

silver?

3. Wench Cyka says:

bronze again maybe??

4. Commodore Angryy says:

What about freedom of information? what about freedom of speech? guess what, the hate-mail has it’s credit given to the writer, therefore they are recieving credit for their work. it is not plagiarism, therefore it does not breach the copywright act, as far as i know. And the email addresses of the hate-mailers are not posted for security reasons, we are responsible people.

5. Wench Cyka says:

Ya know, I always assumed if someone sent me a letter, it was mine. I know when I asked an ex boyfriend for old letters written during an interesting trip, he kept them, and while I wasn’t happy about it, I certainly didn’t threaten to sue him for my intellectual property!
    This whole thing is about at that same level.

6. Wench Nikkiee says:

“I’m just offering some advise in which i suffer knowledge”
    Poor thing. Imagine if it were real knowledge James, you’d probably be dead.
    “Though i do no have any formal expertise this is a area”
    Obviously.
    “i have studied in the past and would like to bring to your attention.”
    Studied what? Attempted writing official sounding letters? Failed the course I take it.
    “I do not wish to refefer to any specific violoation but i hope this information is of some use to you”
    Ermm…lost me. I think James has had a few too many “refefers” myself.
    Could be a friend of Claytons……or even his little ten year old sister.
    Bobby mentioned “Fair Use” in reguard to Claytons “copyrighted” email. :p))
    I wonder if he was referring to this:
    copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107
    107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use38
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
    ps had trouble posting the full link…add the http and w’s

7. Wench Cyka says:

yer so meen! usin all that fancy buk lernin an such! think yer soooo smart!
    MY GOD WIL SHEW YEW!