Halloween 2007

Published October 12th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

It’s coming up quick. I’ve already seen a few FSM costumes, and one pumpkin.

If you send me pictures of your FSM Costume and/or FSM pumpkins, I’ll post them here for everyone to see.

Some of my favorite pumpkins from last year (one of them is mine):

pumpkin5.jpg

pumpkin6.jpg

pumpkin7.jpg

pumpkin8.jpg

pumpkin9.jpg

If you want to take a look at past years costumes/pumpkins here are some links (sorry this is not more organized):

2006 FSM Pumpkin Contest entries

A few pumpkins from 2005

Halloween Missionaries from 2005 and 2006

One last note – Halloween is a fantastic time to Spread the Word. There are very few days where it’s socially acceptable to walk around as a pirate. FSM literature/propaganda can be found here. I’m just saying. Good luck.

34 Responses to “Halloween 2007”

1. links for 2007-10-15 | Funny Stuff is all around says:

[...] Halloween 2007 at Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (tags: funny images) [...]

2. Julie says:

The Fsm actually implanted the idea of Halloween into the minds of the people of the Samhain religion so Pastafarians could prance about in their pirate garb without being called nuts.
    Also, many Spanish cultures believe that on Halloween, dead spirits arise to avenge themselves upon those who did them wrong during their living years. People who feared payback would disguise themselves in costumes so the spirits would not be able to recognize them. The Spanish cultures did not base this day/night on any religious pretext except for the fact that there was an afterlife that the spirits momentarily left to come and seek revenge. Just a little history lesson.
    GREAT PUMPKINS PPL!

3. honeyboy says:

I will strongly support this new religion!

4. Thalassophobic Pie Rat says:

Noodley Embrace is the best, but much respect must be given to the eyepatch carver. Surely it must have fallen out and been stuck in with wire or something…

5. An Eclectic Pagan says:

Wow, the FSM’s power really IS great and far-reaching. Thanks for the answer, Julie! This also explains the reason Fantasy Fest was first implanted in someone’s mind! And with Captain Morgan as the FF leader, no less! In the back of my mind I just KNEW Fantasy Fest was a holy celebration.

Samhain is simply the name given by the ancient Celts for their pagan celebration on that day. There is no Samhain religion. The day was celebrated around the world in many ancient pagan cultures (the most well researched being in Europe, except for Mexico’s holiday which came from the Aztecs) as a time when the veil between this world and the afterlife was thin. Hiding under costumes, warding off spirits with lanterns made from carved turnips, begging door to door for alms, and other practices were a part of various pagan religions during a time when the natural world was dying around people, there was no electricity when days got shorter, and (being untechnological) nobody was 100% completely sure if sunlight and warmth would really return. More Halloween origin lessons here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_cu.htm

I was just trying to be silly with my original post. But I’m now verging on sounding preachy, and I don’t want to be preachy or a now-it-all. So I’m going to shut up now. I shall prostrate myself in front of the first pirate I spot at Fantasy Fest this year and beg for their forgiveness. I pray that the FSM will envelope me in his noodly embrace, thus blessing and pardoning me. I like the “His Noodly Embrace” one best.

6. Wench Cyka says:

@ An Eclectic Pagan
    Yeah, that much of the history and most people will start to snore, believe me, I’ve done it a few times before an almost live audience. A loud book at the end hitting the floor generally helps. People much prefer hearing about Beltaine and the whole Maypole thing (large penis, xians feel free to scream in horror that your kids have danced around one). But hey! nice to know I have company in the very small bookish pagan community that also embraces the idea that IDiots must be laughed at enough to make others point and laugh, enough to make them look like the fools they are! Merry met and have a great and safe Samhain (pronounced Sah-wen folks!)
    Wench Cyka
    Another Nerdy Pagan!

7. Wench Cyka says:

*slides trap under Angryy’s foot as she grabs his short pants and reaches for the sky!*

8. Incompetent Babbling says:

Are you going to be having a contest again this year? I wasn’t able to enter the pumpkin contest last year around…

I will try and incorporate the FSM into my school’s Halloween decorating contest, but my teacher has no sense of humor. BUT TRY I SHALL.