Council of Europe recognizes Pastafarianism

Published October 21st, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Fantastic news: The Council of Europe has recognized our religion.

In its September 17, 2007 report, the parliamentary assembly mentions us.

Article 52:

In this connection, in accordance with the principle of an open attitude to the alternative theories advocated by the scientific creationists, and in order to show the illogicality of teaching intelligent design alongside the theory of evolution, a movement has, ironically, developed in the United States. The so-called Pastafarian movement supports the theory of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Pastafarianism is a parody on religion created in response to the decision of the Kansas State Board of Education to permit the teaching of intelligent design in science courses on an equal footing with the theory of evolution. According to Pastafarianism, an invisible and omniscient being called the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe in one day. The supporters of Pastafarianism are demanding the same place in the school curricula as intelligent design. Full of irony, this pseudo-religion is setting a trend and the cult is spreading.

I object to the terms “parody”, “pseudo-religion” and “cult”, but as I have said before, the first step towards mainstream recognition is recognition as a “joke”. Mormonism took this route. Scientiology is still in the joke stage.

42 Responses to “Council of Europe recognizes Pastafarianism”

1. Starbuckaneer says:

@Paisley… your name wouldn’t happen to really be Paisley would it? And if it is… are you a PINK Pyrate by chance?

2. Starbuckaneer says:

Because if you are, then you must say hello to your little Pug-Pirate for me!

3. Cottura 5 Minuti says:

Returning after a while this was the first thread I read…
    “If you would like to know more about the Mormon faith you can find all the information you need in your local hat.”
    ROFL for 5 minutes.
    @Pluto – that is comedy gold! I know I’m referring to a post a few days old, no need to bother replying.

4. Edwards says:

i love how they say ironically at the begging. it shows how poorly the world loooks at us

5. Stereotypical Environmentalist... says:

6. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Stereotypical Environmentalist.
    “I completely appologize for the dissagreement of the verb-subject compliment in my previous response.”
    Never mind that, just send off that email I mentioned a few posts back and join the FSM disciples (or try t.p.c.klaver@qub.ac.uk).

7. Marvin says:

I was wondering, should I or should I not eat pasta if i’m a pastafarian? I think a lot of new pastafarains have that question. Anyway thank you for reading my message and hope I get a response soon.

Marvin

8. Riot says:

It is an ironic religion. People who think differently don’t get the point. Still, we’re NOT a cult. Or a joke.