Council of Europe recognizes Pastafarianism

Published October 21st, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

Fantastic news: The Council of Europe has recognized our religion.

In its September 17, 2007 report, the parliamentary assembly mentions us.

Article 52:

In this connection, in accordance with the principle of an open attitude to the alternative theories advocated by the scientific creationists, and in order to show the illogicality of teaching intelligent design alongside the theory of evolution, a movement has, ironically, developed in the United States. The so-called Pastafarian movement supports the theory of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Pastafarianism is a parody on religion created in response to the decision of the Kansas State Board of Education to permit the teaching of intelligent design in science courses on an equal footing with the theory of evolution. According to Pastafarianism, an invisible and omniscient being called the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe in one day. The supporters of Pastafarianism are demanding the same place in the school curricula as intelligent design. Full of irony, this pseudo-religion is setting a trend and the cult is spreading.

I object to the terms “parody”, “pseudo-religion” and “cult”, but as I have said before, the first step towards mainstream recognition is recognition as a “joke”. Mormonism took this route. Scientiology is still in the joke stage.

42 Responses to “Council of Europe recognizes Pastafarianism”

1. Captain Codpiece says:

It’s no joke havin’ barnacles all o’er yer block ‘n’ tackle! Arrrr, Lad!

2. Captain Codpiece says:

I been danglin’ me riggin’ in the med once too often!
    ArrrrAmen!

3. Perna de Pau says:

It is pleasant to see one’s contribution appreciated.
    By the way the Council of Europe is not the EU Council.
    The reference to the Flying Spaghetti Monster was not lost from the draft to the final document. The shortest part of the report (a resolution) changed when the draft was amended and then adopted. The longer part (explanatory memorandum, where the FSM is mentioned) was not changed.
    On another point a “cult” in the USA is what we in Europe call a “sect”, a derogatory expression for a fringe, not so serious, sometimes dangerous, religious group. Of course the serious mainstream religions of today are nothing more than sects/cults which managed to develop successfully.
    RAmen

4. Wench Nikkiee says:

@Perna de Pau Oct 22nd, 2007 at 3:48 am
    “On another point a “cult” in the USA is what we in Europe call a “sect”, a derogatory expression for a fringe, not so serious, sometimes dangerous, religious group.”
    Not so serious? Personally I consider drinking arsenic flavoured Kool-Aid, or mass suicide so as to go meet a comet, rather serious. The difference I see between religious cults, which to my mind include all the main stream religions, and us is adherence to dogma…something cults seem to be extremely keen on!
    Also something the FSM doesn’t command of its followers!
    FSM is the only way! All others are just “wanna bees”;p
    RAmen

5. storm petrel says:

I had a religion teacher once who, after a lot of pestering about the difference between a religion and a cult, defined it as a cult being secretive about their practices. So the CoFSM is definately not a cult, we try to enlighten anyone who comes here.
    I’m still amazed TLM never figured out the difference before he gave up.

6. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Paisley the Pirate
    Like the new name. Question from a local angle: over here in Belfast, Northern Ireland, the place has Ian Paisley as first minister. He’s a Protestant fundamentalist bigot. Any relation?
    @Stereotypical environmentalist
    Care to join the FSM disciples group (inner cirlce of FSM regulars)? If so, send and email to Alchemist at prussicacid@googlemail.com

7. MidgetViking says:

Well, I stuck with Odin and Tor for a while, just out of principle, but once I found FSM I felt so much more fulfilled. Though I am considering returning to atheism and solitude again.

As for joke; a good joke is classed as one of the highest art forms. Laughter, as we all know, has healing powers. It’s full of endorfins. And that’s good for you.

I have for now put Pastafarianism as my religion on Facebook. There is absolutely no reason why it should be recognized on equal terms with all other religions and superstitions.

8. Perna de Pau says:

@Wench Nikkiee
    Of course they present a real dnger and this has to be taken seriously. What I meant was that such groups were not taken seriously by other religious groups. For instance they are never invited to “religious dialogue gatherings”.