An interesting question

Published October 17th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

I understand that this monster can change scientific discoveries, but how do you know that there is not a more superior being that is fooling you into believing that there is in fact a monster, just like the “monster” is fooling scientists?
-banjok

53 Responses to “An interesting question”

1. Mathy Kid says:

@dantes_torment: “We know you can’t have more than infinite power”… actually, as I vaguely remember from some mathematical article I read, it has now been proven that there are multiple levels of infinity. So even though the FSM allegedly has infinite power, there could be another entity with power that is a larger value of infinity. I didn’t understand the article, though, so it’s probably rather silly of me to base conclusions on it. Oh well; when has that ever stopped anyone?

2. PYRETTE says:

@ mathy kid

u should know that logic has no place in a theological debate

3. ۞ says:

Mathy Kid,
    Look up Cardinality in Wikipedia:
    It’s a good starting point if you are a mathy kid and want to understand infinities – cardinalities.
    The most basic theorem you might be referring to is that the infinity or the continuum is greater than the infinity of the discrete. That is the cardinality of the real numbers is bigger (in a well defined formal sense) than the cardinality of the integers.
    That was due to Georg Cantor (1845-1918):

4. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Thumper
    Have a wonderful day! I hope the FSM will bless you especially kindly today
    @Cyka
    Slightly rash thing to do a couple of days ago? Your yahoo email probably still works, please check it. Or send an email to the same one you sent me before please….

5. Mathy Kid says:

@Pyrette: “you should know that logic has no place in a theological debate”. Sorry; sometimes I forget that life is not math class :). So, how do we argue without logic? It seems to mostly involve irony and circular assumptions (such as “we know that the FSM exists and is all powerful because the FSM says so in his gospel, and he would know because he is omnipotent”). I’m trying to come up with my own and failing… this illogical justification business is harder than I would have thought.
    @۞: Cool, thanks. That is what I was vaguely referring to, and the Wikipedia article (and its associated links) explain it at a level that I can actually mostly understand.

6. storm petrel says:

@ Thumper
    Hope you had a great day, enjoy your honeymoon.

7. Wench Nikkiee says:

storm petrel
    “enjoy your honeymoon.”
    Yeah! Let’s hope he doesn’t end up with too many claw marks down his butt. ;)
    Ships Cat can be awfully sneaky :)

8. Pluto says:

They’ll be at it like rabbits! (yes some one had to go there)