Am I an Atheist or a Pastafarian?

Published October 17th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

An essay by Tyler Naffin:

For as long as I have known the meaning of the term, I have considered myself an atheist. Recently however, I have begun to reconsider my atheism. The cause of this reconsideration is Pastafarianism. Pastafarianism is a religion that was brought to my attention when I read an article in the November 2006 issue of Wired magazine called The New Atheism. In an interview with renowned atheist and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, he mentioned the deity of Pastafarianism, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. At first I thought nothing of it, but a few weeks later I noticed a YouTube clip that had a Flying Spaghetti Monster sighting in Germany. As soon as I discovered that His Noodiliness was not a figment of Dawkins imagination, I began to research the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I discovered that it was part of the Pastafarian religion, and upon learning of some of its tenets, I was instantly converted. But this would seem to be at odds with my atheism, to believe in a god. Since then, I have been in a constant struggle to decide what I believe.

Now there has to be a reason that a firm atheist such as me would be converted to a theistic religion like Pastafarianism so easily, while rejecting other religions like Christianity and Islam. Therefore I will briefly explain Pastafarianism, while forgoing the pirate regalia usually required to be worn when teaching the ways of the religion. In the beginning, the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the Universe, presumably when he was drunk. This aspect, known as Unintelligent Design, has successfully been used to explained disco and Jar Jar Binks, among other things. His Noodiliness created pirates as absolute divine beings. The declining numbers of pirates over recent years has caused the Flying Spaghetti Monster to become angry and punish us through global warming. Heaven consists of beer volcanoes and a stripper factory, while there is no known equivalent to Hell. This in a nutshell, is Pastafarianism.

By now you must be thinking that I am a certified nut for believing in such a thing. You would also not be the first person to think such a thing on the grounds that I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. However I shall tell you that I do not truly believe that all of existence was created by a flying blob of spaghetti surrounding two meatballs. I never have. But I still claim that I do. The reason for that is because Pastafarianism is an excellent satire of Christianity and religion in general. A closer examination of Pastafarianism would reveal that it has many parallels to Christianity. For instance, while the Bible has Moses and the Ten Commandments, the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has Captain Mosey and the eight I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts. True to the nature of a satire, Pastafarianism causes one to look more critically at the acceptance of absurdities within the Judeo-Christian beliefs because of such parallels. But the question of why I consider myself a Pastafarian still exists, and it is a question I struggle to answer.

I use Pastafarianism to criticize the beliefs of Christians by pointing out the parallels between Christianity and Pastafarianism and how the beliefs of Pastafarianism, while absurd, are in essence the same as Christianity. After all, there is as much evidence supporting the Judeo-Christian god as there is for the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The only problem is that there are few Christians that I know at a personal level, and thus few Christians to criticize. As for my atheism, I continue to read up on many topics, including the Bible, in order to prepare myself for a debate with a Christian in areas where invoking the Flying Spaghetti Monster is unable to help. Now for the question of whether I am I an atheist or a Pastafarian, I have come to this conclusion: I will consider myself an atheist in a broad sense, such as to what group I consider myself a part of, like if I am ever asked a survey question about my religion. On the other hand, I will consider myself a Pastafarian when it comes to a personal discussion with someone in which I can properly explain my beliefs. I feel confident that I can always justify that my belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is no more wrong than belief in any other deity. At least we have a graph!

Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God.
-Bertrand Russell

You might say that because science can explain just about everything but not quite, it’s wrong to say therefore we don’t need God. It is also, I suppose, wrong to say we don’t need the Flying Spaghetti Monster, unicorns, Thor, Wotan, Jupiter, or fairies at the bottom of the garden. There’s an infinite number of things that some people at one time or another have believed in, and an infinite number of things that nobody has believed in. If there’s not the slightest reason to believe in any of those things, why bother? The onus is on somebody who says, I want to believe in God, Flying Spaghetti Monster, fairies, or whatever it is. It is not up to us to disprove it.
-Richard Dawkins

181 Responses to “Am I an Atheist or a Pastafarian?”

1 15 16 17 18 19 23
  1. ۞ says:

He’s not going to force you to love him, he want’s you to do it out of you own free will.

But if you don’t he’ll burn and torture you in hell for all eternity.
    Interesting take on free will this God has…
    Can I come round your house rob it at gun point and then claim the stuff was given as presents?
    Your God is the nastiest kind of bully there is.
    Unlike the FSM who says you don’t have to believe in him. Why should he? He created the universe and doesn’t have complexes about his creation. He created freewill, so what does he care?

2. Wench Nikkiee says:

@JW Oct 19th, 2007 at 1:37 pm
    “What do you say of the sheer statistical improbability that protein, that we know and love, could have randomly been assembled to yield the life that is evident around us. I mean have you looked at the math against this happening, the numbers are stifling (i’ll be willing to provide them if you want)”
    Hehehehe…..an IDiot…..here we go again 
    *Sigh*
    Please do provide those numbers JW. I think I’m familiar with where you got them and the argument you will use. Borel’s Law perhaps? I doubt it will be from anything you’ve learned in biochem class.
    “Also how do you deal with the fact that for something to evolve at any significant rate it must reproduce wildly (like bacteria).”
    I take it you’ve studied biology too JW?
    “Also, how do you explain such irreducible complexities as the human eye, when you take away any part of it, or change it in anyway, it just would function and you’d be useless. How did they come to be that way? Not by chance that’s for sure, that would take way more time than evolution allows for”
    Ever heard Walter Gehring JW? I would seriously like to hear your comments on the information in the following links. (then maybe we can move on to the Talk Origins responses to the IDiots claims if you like)
    or maybe you’d prefer a simple Q & A with him which gets the point across very concisely….
    “Also how do you explain that when you change you amino acid in a protein, it totally makes it unfunctional.”
    You have a BS in biochem…seriously?
    We’ve been over your other assertions more than a few times as well!
    JW you are pulling out every debunked canard that the ill informed propaganda fed Idiots always, but always, throw around! Are you a troll? Have you been here previous to your current round of visitations?

3. Wench Nikkiee says:

@JW Oct 19th, 2007 at 1:37 pm
    “I have B.S. in Biochemistry, a minor in math and am working on an M.D. but thats not the point.”
    Would that be from Liberty university by any chance?

4. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Nikkiee
    I suspect JW may have obtained his degree in the group of another ……ehhhhm…famous biochemist. A certain professor Behe. You may have heard of him. :) He’s also on about irreducible complexity of the eye etc. JW really sounds like a student of his. I’ll bet he finished his internship at Discovery with very high marks.

5. Wench Nikkiee says:

DPG
    “I suspect JW may have obtained his degree in the group of another ……ehhhhm…famous biochemist. A certain professor Behe. You may have heard of him. :)”
    Yes considered that as well…thought I’d let JW inform us as to whether his/her BS came from a reputable university.
    Or is that a hint to post the press statement released by Behe’s university (Lehigh) in regards to him and his “ideas” :))
    I just love irony :)) The IDiots argue that microevolution is fact but that there is no natural selection mechanisms leading to macro-evolution. They then argue against the micro-evolution of the eye to try and support their claims! Yeah that makes sense!

6. Len Guini says:

@Winch Nikkiee.
    “Would that be from Liberty university by any chance?”
    That’s in my own glorious city of Lynchburg, VA, where we recently lost the “Late, Great, Jerry falwell.” At least, that’s how they desribe him on the news. We still get solicitations on the phone from his son Johnathan (very irritating) who took over Thomas Road Baptist after his father’s death. As a side note, a few weeks before he died, Jerry decided to put a great big sign with LU (Liberty University) written on it in red rocks on the side of a mountain he owned. You can see it everywhere downtown, and it is unbelievably ugly. We are all hoping that Lynchburg College will change its name to Lyngburg University, and claim the sign for itself.

7. Wench Nikkiee says:

@Len Guini Oct 19th, 2007 at 4:25 pm
    “That’s in my own glorious city of Lynchburg, VA, where we recently lost the “Late, Great, Jerry falwell.”
    Yea saw that.
    Did you see the edit of Liberty’s Wiki entry just after he died? Wasn’t up for long. I saved the page after someone (Beastly Rich) pointed it out…
    The bottom of the page:
    * The Liberty Nation – Liberty Flames fan site
    * A. Pierre Guillermin Library – Liberty University Library

* On May 15, 2007, Jerry Falwell began his extended stay in hell. May the rest of you evil and hypocritical demons soon join him!

May 15, 2007 – A great day for America and the world.

* On May 15, 2007, Jerry Falwell will finally get to reunite with his old pal, Satan. He will finally get to live in peace with his own homosexuality tendencies.

Retrieved from “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University”
    Hehehehehehehehe….
    RAmen to that editor :)
    “We are all hoping that Lynchburg College will change its name to Lyngburg University”
    That was the one Dawkins paid a visit to gave a speech then held a Q&A wasn’t it? Haven’t actually seen the video myself, (is posted on Dawkins site) but read all the comments there on it :)

8. Len Guini says:

@Wench Nikkiee
    “http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20071016/wl_mcclatchy/20071016bcusiraqcemetery_attn_national_foreign_editors_ytop_1″
    Yea I saw that. made the news here.

1 15 16 17 18 19 23