Stolen Laptop tracker

Published June 5th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

This is a free service for Pastafarians:

Register your laptop here. You’ll be given a unique “home page” address for your internet browser. When you connect to the internet, your IP address will be recorded, and then you’ll be redirected to google.

In the event that your laptop is stolen, report it to the police, and then email me. If the thief connects to the internet, we’ll have their approximate location, and their current Internet Service Provider. There’s a decent chance of getting your laptop back.

It’s still in experimental stage but it’s fully functional. I wish I made this a couple weeks ago (before my laptop was stolen).

Anyways, try it out here. Let me know what you think.

-bobby

104 Responses to “Stolen Laptop tracker”

1 11 12 13
  1. ♥ Wench Beth ♥ says:

To Bill… that’s great! I would love to have a copy. I’m e-mailing you now :)

2. valugi says:

I dont doubt your reasons or the convictions, but I wouldnt say “decent chance” – it gives too much hope to people. And the “real chance” to get back a stolen laptop using this technique is almost absolute 0.

3. Qurck says:

Thanks, this will prove handy if some spork steals my laptop. Waaaaay too much stuff to re-download!

4. David says:

This would be a lot better if it didn’t rely on the homepage thing. For example, firefox plugin!

5. Mike Meier says:

I can’t find the “More on the break-in…” where his laptop was stolen, so I hope this isn’t too off-topic.
    Regarding the death threats Bobby has received, I wanted to suggest that he and others in his situation put out a “collected works” book called something like “What Would Jesus Say?”, maybe with something like “Jesus is Love, Christianity is a Religion of Peace” for a subtitle. In it but all the death threats verbatum, and maybe some hate mail. John Spong says he’s received many death threats for challlenging the fundies (book- Christianity Must Change or Die), and I am sure that Richard Dawkins and others must have a pretty good collection by now. Just introduce the recipient and then let the letters/threats speak for themselves.

6. Mike Meier says:

Anyway, I was serious. A book like this is needed so the fundies and the rest of us can see how ugly and “unChristian” they can be, using their own words and deeds.

7. Lillith says:

No kidding—good idea=)

8. Michael says:

Very good article. Thanks for the good information!.

1 11 12 13