Jolly Roger Banned

Published June 8th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

flag_jolly_sm.jpg

Some neighborhood council in Hampshire banned a man from flying the Jolly Roger at his son’s birthday party.

The article doesn’t mention if he was a Pastafarian, but I would not be surprised. I doubt this was an issue of religious discrimination, more likely just an uptight council. It sounds like he’ll get permission to fly the flag after filing for some permits, but if not, I suggest that he plays the religious discrimination card.

The article is here.

145 Responses to “Jolly Roger Banned”

1. Gaara the Pirate Ninja says:

Hey, what about FREEDOM OF SPEECH (That includes what type of Flags you can hang outside) and thios so called ALLOW PEOPLE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT ON THIER OWN PROPORITY????? Huh!? Gosh it’s just a flag, not like it’s a gun or naked person on the flag. yesh. stupid anti-pirates/Pastafarians.

2. Sirius D Dogstar says:

I have that exact Jolly Roger on my yacht and I fly it occasionally too, but only because im still waiting for the Church of the FSM to start selling pirate fish flags. Im could make one I suppose but Im far to lazy for that sort of thing.
    Anyway, as I’ve ranted before, what kinda religion with pirates in it dos’nt sell pirate flags.

3. Mauro says:

Ah but of course you cannot show a Jolly Roger at a party because it’s already reserved for much more important jobs, which I bet get the blessing of military priests too. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_roger : In World War II it became common practice for the submarines of the Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy to fly the Jolly Roger on completion of a successful combat mission where some action had taken place, but as an indicator of bravado and stealth rather than of lawlessness. The Jolly Roger is now the emblem of the Royal Navy Submarine Service.[8]

The Jolly Roger was brought to the attention of a post World War II public when HMS Conqueror flew the Jolly Roger on her return from the Falklands War having sunk ARA General Belgrano. In May 1991 Oberon class submarines HMS Opossum and her sister HMS Otus returned to the submarine base HMS Dolphin in Gosport from patrol in the Persian Gulf flying Jolly Rogers, the only indication that they had been involved in alleged SAS and SBS reconnaissance operations[9]. In 1999 HMS Splendid participated in the Kosovo Conflict and became the first Royal Navy submarine to fire a cruise missile in anger. On her return to Faslane, on July 9, 1999, Splendid flew the Jolly Roger.

4. Ookami says:

The neighbor and the council are just jealous that they did not think of it first. :P

5. Garra The Pirate Ninja says:

Mauro I have to ask you this. You the hell even bothers to know/rember that stuff? so what that the Uk and Australia used it? This is america, remember?? Jolly Roger = Pirartes. Pirates = Pastafarians. Also Sirus, they do sell Pirate fish flags. I bought one.

6. Peter Popoff says: