Global Warming, Pirates, and the Rise of the FSM

Published June 24th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

The Cincinnati Beacon notices a relationship between global warming and pirates.

General consciousness about global warming seems to have reached a new critical mass, perhaps thanks to Al Gore’s movie and the growing awareness of green technologies.

But has anyone noticed, while more people become aware of global warming and take steps to combat it, that our culture has become filled with even more pirates? Pirates, in many ways, are experiencing a renaissance in America right now.

Read it here.

188 Responses to “Global Warming, Pirates, and the Rise of the FSM”

1. Rowdiest Wench says:

@ Aristotle – I saw (and I am *not* making this up) a simply gigantimous RV towing a Hummer down the highway the other day. Urgh!

2. Wench Nikkiee says:

What I really love (sarci) is driving down the highway behind a big semi-trailer (umm…that’s a big transporting truck in OZ…10-4big buddy? :)) while it’s belting out black smoke all the way. @#$%*@#… (sp? :)

3. Wench Nikkiee says:

And while on the subject of the enviroment, something that has really gotten “under my skin” at the moment is the ridiculous timing of the following Aust./USA exercise!!

“Activists worried about sonar effect on whales”
    “IWC: War games Sonar could cause widespread whale beaching and death.”
    Grrrrr..

4. Wench Beth says:

To Rowdiest… I just saw your Tesla Motors link. Those cars are amazing. That’s the transportation of the future… if we can just keep the oil geeks from buying them out and burning the research :( Boy, I wish I had $100,000 — I would totally buy that car!

5. Wench Nikkiee says:

Hi Wench Beth :)
    Just been reading a recent article about the US Navy being taken to task over whale deaths caused by sonar in California.
    From Planet Ark
    “LOS ANGELES – California coastal regulators and environmentalists sued the US Navy on Thursday saying that it has planned training exercises that could endanger whales. In separate lawsuits by the California Coastal Commission and a coalition led by the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Navy was accused of refusing to comply with regulations aimed at protecting marine life from sonar pulses used to detect underwater objects.”

6. Wench Beth says:

That sux, Wench Nikkiee. I used to live there and have been on a few whale-watching trips. Once you’ve seen a whale in the wild, you never forget. I hope the environmentalists win their lawsuit. Once the whales are gone, they’re gone :(
    Do you know the CSN song called “Ode to the Last Whale”? It’s beautiful and it makes me cry. There’s also a Yes song called “Don’t Kill the Whale”. These guys were trying to raise public awareness in the 70′s… obviously the government hasn’t listened :(((

7. Wench Nikkiee says:

The numbers have just started to build up around OZ over the past 10yrs or so after getting alarmingly low so at least that’s been positive.
    I am familiar with most CNS and Yes…but can’t place the songs of top of my head:(. Just don’t have my musical bent plugged in at the mo. Will have a look and listen later :))
    After reading some of the comments from the Aussies today, seems I was being much more polite last night about this clash of war games & annual whale migration area last night. I did make a concerted effort not to use that F word that kept overiding my more coherent thoughts :)
    Must make a run to the local store before it closes. Country closing times here :)) Catch you later.

8. Rowdiest Wench says:

@ Wench Beth – What, cut and paste is not working? And now I cannot use contractions again – urgh! OK, about Tesla Motors – as I understand it, one of the requirements for ownership of the company was an agreement that they would never sell out. So, it will be very unlikely that the oil companies will be able to buy them out. And I asked hubby about this and he reassured me that the men involved already have contingents of body guards. So I have some hope that this will work.