19826 Views

Where does FSM fit in with the other religions?

Published May 22nd, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

rel_pie2.gif

Adherents.com has ranked the major religions of the world. What surprises me is that there are only around 500 thousand Scientologists, and that there are more – 600 thousand – Rastafarians in the world. Note that I said Rastafarians, not Pastafarians. Pastafarianism did not make the list, unfortunately.

Now I’m wondering how many Pastafarians there are in the world, and how we’d go about quantifying that. The FSM website has received well over 10 million unique visitors in the last two years. I’m guessing that the number of people vaguely familiar with FSM is in the millions, but that those who consider themselves Pastafarians number only in the tens of thousands. And of those people, I’m guessing that only some of them consider this a legit religion. For others it’s a joke, satire, entertainment, whatever.

I’m wondering how the mainstream religions count members. Do they count only those who truly follow the core beliefs, and disregard those who are there mainly for the social benefits? Or do they count everyone who’s signed up, or possibly those who pay dues?

Is FSM all that different than the other religions? How many Christians Truly Believe the Bible is the Infallible Word of God, and how many are members because they enjoy the social network and lifestyle that being Christian affords them? It seems to me that many Pastafarians enjoy this community, even if they don’t actually believe there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster controlling events around us at will. Of course, many of us do.

The Church of the FSM has no organized registration process – I’ve never liked the idea of it; it seemed too close to what the major religions do… tracking, asking for money – which I’m strongly against. But maybe it’s time for FSM to become more organized. What do you think? What do you want out of FSM?

209 Responses to “Where does FSM fit in with the other religions?”

1. Rick says:

If you are still looking for a place to meet, try this. http://www.creationmuseum.org/

2. DutchPastaGuy says:

@Rick
    You mean with all of us dressed up as pirates and carrying FSM leaflets to enlighten the under-evolved fundies that come to the museum?

3. Rick says:

4. kludge says:

There are over 10,000 member on the facebook group. And that’s only one of them.

5. SauceBeUponYe says:

Likewise one myspace group has over 4000 friends. however some people may join multiple groups and the problem with registration is that people may do it for a joke.
    However we could solve this problem by making people prove their faith for the religion to join. for exampleto register fully one must take a picture of themselves making/worshipping noodles and submit it with their entries. this would elliminate fundies who would not dare to worship something so holy as a noodle.
    it has also come to my attention that a christian group calling themselves FSM has sprung up. It stands for “Fire Student Ministries”: And i quote ”FSM, Fire Student Ministries, is based out of Palmetto Street Church of God in Florence, SC. We are geared towards meeting the needs of todays students with a positive message about Christ.”
    Clearly they are jumping on the bandwagon of the true Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster
    Holy be his noodles

6. Uberbob says:

*not related to captain uberbob*
    I had something like this occur.
    We had a survey to take at school, and it asked religion.
    Well, I identify as a Patafarian Universalist.
    So I asked my teacher where Pastafarianism goes on it and she sadi, “That’s not a religion. What are you talking about?”
    Then I asked where UU went. “Oh, don’t worry. Just mark ‘No religion’”.
    So.

7. Wench Beth says:

On that subject, where are the “Recent Comments”? I am really missing them! Please, Prophet Bobby, bring them back!

8. joey says:

I sincerely hope that if this site has been visited by ten million people – if not more – that it would have a larger effect, not just maybe 10s of thousands. I just got chewed out by someone for being a pastafarian because it’s “satire”.
    i argued that it’s not just a satire religion, but it has a deeper meaning to all pastafarians, and then he ended the conversation by saying that it just annoys him.
    this is ridiculous, didn’t our founding fathers come to america to get away from all that “religion hating”? If i can’t be a pastafarian without being ridiculed, then maybe this country has to rethink its standards.